OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Anyone hunt Fort Polk or Clear Creek WMA in Louisiana?

Started by Dconer1, January 27, 2015, 06:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RussM311

Some of the very best turkey hunting in Louisiana can be found on Ft Polk/Peason Ridge. It can also be said that the world's most fanatical turkey hunters live near the same area.  As an example, I was running my tank battalion through live fire exercises on what is called the Range 40 complex... a series of tank and machine gun ranges on the eastern side of Ft Polk. One of the observers saw an odd blurb through his night vision scope at about 0500. After a second look, we determined that the blurb was a human crawling across the hot fire zone. We shut down the range and sent soldiers forward to see what this person was doing. And sure enough, it was a turkey hunter trying to cut across the range to get to a draw where he had roosted birds in the past.  LOL. Now, that is wanting to kill a turkey awful bad.  But, if you follow the rules and keep track of what areas are open or closed, you will find some terrific turkey hunting at Ft Polk/Peason Ridge.

silvestris

If you try what that idiot did, you can also find yourself in Federal Court.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

turkey buster

Guys the federal court thing is not true. I work out there and I'm friends with a game warden. For a civilian who gets a ticket out there you see the magistrate,which is an army judge, and pay a fine. The fines are NOT high and generally under $200. Some offenses will cost your hunting privileges for 6 months on Ft Polk/Peason only and some are a permenet band, like night hunting. I'll provide a link of the fine sheet for out there

turkey buster

http://www.jrtc-polk.army.mil/Hunt2/Hunt/Reg210-18.pd

The fines start around page 13 and a lot say 1 year but like I said I know guys and that's generally reduced to 6 months or none at all pending if it was accidental or purpose in regards to closed areas and such

turkey buster

Now I'm not condoning illegal hunting out there, and feel like if you do you should have gun, truck, and all taken. But it don't happen out there. Ft Polk hunters are very funny about others being out there and love to tell unaware people crazy things to scare them off. I've heard every rumor and false statements made about getting in trouble out there.

One of my favorites are turkeys are federal. They are not a federal bird.

Another one is maps change last second, which does happen, but not large areas generally unless it's rotational training which it would've been closed anyway. I have showed up and a spot shown open the day before be closed but not the entire map

silvestris

I was assuming that since the base is federal that a violation would get you in Federal Court like a speeding ticket on the Natchez Trace.  However, the primary purpose of the base is military training and no one should enter a closed unit when it is so easy to find out which areas are closed.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

turkey buster

No they shouldn't. Never know when it's a live fire exercise with real ammo or when it's just blanks. Either way it's dangerous and effects our men and women who keep us safe from receiving good training that might save their lives