turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pinhoti Project

Started by crenshawco, June 21, 2018, 03:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EKavanagh

Dave, you showed some conflict with other public hunters in earlier videos but not the more recent ones. Did it lessen or go away entirely as you moved to different areas?

Love the series. Thanks for doing it.

Cove

Quote from: EKavanagh on September 13, 2018, 11:18:19 AM
Dave, you showed some conflict with other public hunters in earlier videos but not the more recent ones. Did it lessen or go away entirely as you moved to different areas?

Love the series. Thanks for doing it.

Hunting pressure fades quickly after the first couple weeks. Pair that with our adjustments to avoid popular areas (they seem to shift) and we have fewer "run ins." And pressure will more often than not be much reduced once you get out of the southeast.

Thanks for watching!

Day 48.49 is up now!   

deerhunt1988

Quote from: buzzardroost on September 10, 2018, 09:01:59 PM

I'm surprised by the amount of calling
you do to these Public birds. I guess I've just always been a lot more conservative. I do see where you gave the silent treatment on day 46, now that's more my style. I've learned from watching you that maybe I can be more aggressive.

I'm just glad most folks are slow/poor learners. Dave is putting on one of the best turkey schools to ever exist and if viewers really did some studying, they'd be able to 'up' their public land turkey killing game by tenfold!

Keep them coming...

LaLongbeard

I'm wondering if camper shells and mountain bike sales will spike next spring with all the people trying to copy what Dave is doing lol.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Brian Fahs

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on September 16, 2018, 07:44:51 AM
Quote from: buzzardroost on September 10, 2018, 09:01:59 PM

I'm surprised by the amount of calling
you do to these Public birds. I guess I've just always been a lot more conservative. I do see where you gave the silent treatment on day 46, now that's more my style. I've learned from watching you that maybe I can be more aggressive.

I'm just glad most folks are slow/poor learners. Dave is putting on one of the best turkey schools to ever exist and if viewers really did some studying, they'd be able to 'up' their public land turkey killing game by tenfold!

Keep them coming...
Shhhhh!!!!!

Brian Fahs

Quote from: Phillipshunt on September 16, 2018, 07:29:03 PM
I'm wondering if camper shells and mountain bike sales will spike next spring with all the people trying to copy what Dave is doing lol.
[/quote
I've been camper she'll camping for over 30 years. It's not for everyone but keeps you in the game and gets you more rest do to less driving. You will always be first at the gate if you never leave. I love the simplicity and ability to relocate hunting areas with truck camping. I will always hunt this way.]

GobbleNut

Episode 53,...classic.  ...Last five minute commentary under the rock with the gobbler,...exceptional!   You really summed up the emotions and internal conflict hunters have (or should have) about taking the life of the animals we hunt.  I have had the same discussion with myself many times over the decades,...and with the same conclusions.  Well done, David, well done.

anthonyjhallen

Quote from: GobbleNut on September 24, 2018, 02:17:30 PM
Episode 53,...classic.  ...Last five minute commentary under the rock with the gobbler,...exceptional!   You really summed up the emotions and internal conflict hunters have (or should have) about taking the life of the animals we hunt.  I have had the same discussion with myself many times over the decades,...and with the same conclusions.  Well done, David, well done.

I am on day 30 and totally consumed. It don't get much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut emSC

I have enjoyed every minute of it Dave.  Day 53 was a normal day in the turkey woods with all sorts of shenanigans. 

greencop01

Gotta love second chances, the birds do the darndest things at times. They always seem to leave us at a loss for words. Near the end of TENTH LEGION Tom Kelly talks about letting a tough bird walk after battling a few times and he says' I let him walk under the gun, with the safety off , at thirty yards and didn't shoot. And ruined it. For the past four days that turkey and I had possessed each other-and I had degraded him by letting him go. I know that I had ruined it the moment he was gone, for you may take all the pleasure you choose in losing, so long as you lose. You cannot throw the game. He didn't even know I was there, but I did and cheapened him by giving him a gift he dldn't ask for. I could not have demeaned him more if I had caught him by the foot in a steel trap and beaten his head with an ax handle.' You kinda said the same thing. By the way a helluva hunt!
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Upfold99

Just finished 53 myself. Much respect for the gobblers and Dave.

I too have restled with letting them go. I never really thought I was not giving my best, if I would have done that. I really like how Dave laid that out there. Keep up the good work, I appreciate all you do with the pinhoti project.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Cove

Quote from: greencop01 on September 25, 2018, 09:34:39 PM
Gotta love second chances, the birds do the darndest things at times. They always seem to leave us at a loss for words. Near the end of TENTH LEGION Tom Kelly talks about letting a tough bird walk after battling a few times and he says' I let him walk under the gun, with the safety off , at thirty yards and didn't shoot. And ruined it. For the past four days that turkey and I had possessed each other-and I had degraded him by letting him go. I know that I had ruined it the moment he was gone, for you may take all the pleasure you choose in losing, so long as you lose. You cannot throw the game. He didn't even know I was there, but I did and cheapened him by giving him a gift he dldn't ask for. I could not have demeaned him more if I had caught him by the foot in a steel trap and beaten his head with an ax handle.' You kinda said the same thing. By the way a helluva hunt!

I know that story well and believe that is what planted that seed that grew within my lil mind on that wandering under the rock. Tom Kelly and Gene Nunnery have every ounce of my respect when it comes to putting emotions into print.

Thanks for keeping up guys! I'm dropping days 56.57.58 today. Then it's one more day around home before a run at WA, ID and MT.

Big Timber

Dave, I noticed in one of the videos Chub put a trumpet in his vest, but I have not seen y'all use one on camera. Do you ever use one?

Cove

I'm more of a wingbone guy myself. But yes, I use one on occasion. It's just rare you see me using anything but a mouth yelper on camera due to me running the calls and the camera. I need help with the camera.  :toothy9:

jryser

Quote from: Cove on September 28, 2018, 03:14:20 PM
I'm more of a wingbone guy myself. But yes, I use one on occasion. It's just rare you see me using anything but a mouth yelper on camera due to me running the calls and the camera. I need help with the camera.  :toothy9:
That's why I'm fall hunting for a hen - so I can make a hen wingbone call.  I've made two - one for me and one for Aaron. Love running em and they sure work!