only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pinhoti Project

Started by crenshawco, June 21, 2018, 03:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greencop01

Quote from: Cove on August 22, 2018, 09:58:11 AM
Quote from: larry9988 on August 21, 2018, 08:46:27 PM
I watched day 33 last night. The calling Dave did to the gobbler that just kept moving away was outstanding. When I listen to someone that can call like that, not be successful, it just makes me realize how hard it is for an average caller, or even a below average caller,  to turn a gobbler around when the gobbler has a destination to be  somewhere else in mind.  Being where he wants to be, or being where he wants to go is a big part of turkey hunting success. If that calling did not turn him around, nothing less than a visible live hen would have.

Gene Nunnery called them vagabond gobblers if I'm not mistaken. You're on their way from point A to point B or you listen to them gobble unsuccessfully. In this case, I believe this ole boy had his eyes on some female company he was following but sure wanted us to join.  :funnyturkey:

Day 34.35 is on it's way! We're spending time with a boss mtn turkey on these 2 days and he's doing what mtn turkeys do. Beat our rear ends!
Kenny Morgan in "Turkey Hunting a One Man Game"  called a gobbler like that a 'circuit rider'.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

GobbleNut

Quote from: larry9988 on August 21, 2018, 08:46:27 PM
I watched day 33 last night. The calling Dave did to the gobbler that just kept moving away was outstanding. When I listen to someone that can call like that, not be successful, it just makes me realize how hard it is for an average caller, or even a below average caller,  to turn a gobbler around when the gobbler has a destination to be  somewhere else in mind.  Being where he wants to be, or being where he wants to go is a big part of turkey hunting success. If that calling did not turn him around, nothing less than a visible live hen would have.

Another great episode, Dave,...but man, you are wearing me out just watching them!  I don't know how you keep going day after day like that.   :o

Obviously, Dave (world champion) and Chubbs (not far behind) are tremendous callers.  For all of us below their level, there is no reason to be assume that, because a gobbler does not come to your calling, it is because you didn't call well enough.  Sure, there are going to be times where being able to make exactly the right sound at the right time is going to make a difference.  Just as assuredly, there area also going to be lots of times that being able to make a particular noise with a call is going to have absolutely no impact in success or failure in a hunt.

I will even take the "calling ability" concept one step further.  I have spent fifty years hunting with callers of all levels and abilities.  Most or many of those hunts, I encourage them to call when we are working a gobbler.  Because of those experiences, I can tell you without question that turkeys respond to what THEY want to come to, not necessarily what we hunters think they should respond to. 

I can't tell you how many times I have been working a gobbler with another guy calling with me and have said to myself,..."there is no way in hell that this gobbler is going to come to that calling", only to have the bird come marching in gobbling and strutting to the most gawd-awful turkey calling you could imagine. 

I will say this boys and girls, try to become the best caller you can,...there are times when that will make a difference.  But just being able to sound like a turkey (there are a million different turkey voices out there) is not nearly as important as knowing what to say and when and where to say it.  And perhaps even more important is putting the pieces together during your conversation with a gobbler as to what he really wants to hear. 
:newmascot: :newmascot:

Cove

I agree. Everyone should attempt to be a proficient as possible at every aspect of the game but being a champion caller not necessary to kill gobbler consistently.

greencop01

Seen the latest and you are in the addiction. I like your never give up attitude. I get frustrated watching but that is what makes killing one so worthwhile. Like a hunter once said they are so beautiful but I love standing on their neck more. It's funny how a bird with a brain the size of half a walnut can make us look so inept at times. Gotta love it!  :funnyturkey:                                                   That's what keeps us comin back for more.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

wvmntnhick

Excellent video. All I can say. Excellent video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jryser

Quote from: wvmntnhick on August 26, 2018, 03:10:05 PM
Excellent video. All I can say. Excellent video.

Last episode was the fastest 42 minutes of hunting video I've seen. I'm sure it wasn't for Dave tho...

LaLongbeard

Just watched Day 40....wow I thought I was dedicated way to stick it out.
Really like what you said about killing one was enough lot of respect for the bird and the game
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

greencop01

Episode 40 just as good as #1, amazing how each episode maintains the quality and grab your attention and interest, keep em comin. I looked up definition of pinhoti, Creek Indian word meaning 'home of the turkey', wow Dave you even out did yourself on the name of your project. Thank you for putting out such a great series of hunts on videos, with all the highs and lows, the perfections, and imperfections. waiting for the next hunts. :popcorn:

Brian Fahs

Just watched day 41.

Squirrel is a real hoot. I bet he is a lot of fun to do anything with.

Thanks for sharing dave.

greencop01

41 is superlative, nice birds, splendid hunts, doesn't get any better, or does it, here's to #42 !

HILBY72

Day 41 was AWESOME !! Congrats to both on 2 great gobblers. looking forward to 42...  I was stunned that the yote didn't get it.

Cove

Stayed up late and got up early to have another ready today. Day 42 is encoding now. Hopefully be up shortly.

GobbleNut

Two words for episode 41,....AWE  SUMM!  That was indeed what turkey hunting is supposed to be about and how it should be done!  There are few times when a video makes me feel like I was right there with you guys,...and this was one of them.  I could smell those woods and feel the excitement and tension of those hunts!  Fine stuff, David and crew!

That, my friends, is what turkey hunting is all about,...from A to Z!  The only problem,...if you want to call it that,...is that it clearly demonstrates just how difficult it is to get your typical "kill shot" footage when you are TRULY turkey hunting.

Cove

Thanks for taggin' along guys! I'll be working on the next one and hopefully have it up on Monday!

PharmHunter

Keep em coming Dave.  Getting me thru my lunch hour and slow times at work  :icon_thumright:

Excellent stuff!