turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi-Shot Turkey choke Pattern PIX!

Started by Philippe, September 24, 2011, 04:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe

I have been searching and searching and i have not seen anyone post up any patterns anywhere using the Hevi-Shot Turkey chokes with various loads. I will be testing it out of a new Mossberg 835, 24 inch barrel and Hevi Magnum blend 5/6/7 and Hevi-Shot straight 7's both in 3 1/2 magnum. I will get some pictures up asap.

bigdale

I think you will be impressed by these new chokes. I have patterned them with many different loads and had good results. You will get the best results when you combine it with Hevi-shot loads because it was designed and tested around these loads. Their waterfowl chokes are also really good chokes. I dont have any pics of the patterns, but I will be doing some more testing soon and I willpost the results. I would recommend them to anybody.

Philippe

Well folks, the results were seriously upsetting. I feel very let down by the folks at Hevi-Shot and whomever made this choke for them. I shot a box of both the 3 1/2 straight 7's and a box of the Magnum Blend. I even had a close friend of mine come along and he shot my gun because i just thought it was me, but he got the same results. I will post pictures of my best pattern which is from 30 yards, i was so upset that i didnt even attempt a 40 yard shot. The temp was 58 degrees, sunny, no wind at all. We checked the POI and got it all squared away with a box of AA's and moved on to the big disappointment. This pattern is the best one of the bunch, its the straight 7's. I am so upset with the performance i cant see straight. I guess i should have saved my money and just got the Indian Creek and been done with it. :angry9:

Old Gobbler

looks like a stone cold dead turkey to me - I'm not big on counting holes but to me it looks like you could step back a bit and still be well assured of a dead gobbler

looks like the densest part of the pattern is going about 2-3 inches to the right , if you can adjust for that it will improve even better
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Old Gobbler on September 25, 2011, 04:56:16 PM
looks like a stone cold dead turkey to me - I'm not big on counting holes but to me it looks like you could step back a bit and still be well assured of a dead gobbler

looks like the densest part of the pattern is going about 2-3 inches to the right , if you can adjust for that it will improve even better

X2.  Did you thouroughly clean the gun and choke after firing those AA's through it?  A clean barrel and choke might improve the pattern a bit but I see a very dead turkey right there.  Pattern is reasonably even but it's a little hard to tell with such a small portion of the target visible.  how big was the paper you used and if it wasn't a good 30" piece, how can you be absolutley sure your pattern is really centered?
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I would have to agree with the poster.  That isn't bad, but for 30yds it ain't good either.  I would hate to see the pattern from that same load and distance using my 835 and Star Dot choke.  That's what you need to find.  It will be the most consistent choke in your 835.  A Pure Gold .670 is a pretty good one as well.  I have both.  I had an Indian Creek .675 and it shot pretty good too. 

Philippe

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on September 25, 2011, 05:39:06 PM
Quote from: Old Gobbler on September 25, 2011, 04:56:16 PM

X2.  Did you thouroughly clean the gun and choke after firing those AA's through it?  A clean barrel and choke might improve the pattern a bit but I see a very dead turkey right there.  Pattern is reasonably even but it's a little hard to tell with such a small portion of the target visible.  how big was the paper you used and if it wasn't a good 30" piece, how can you be absolutley sure your pattern is really centered?

I did give the barrel a quick clean between the AA's and the big boy loads. I do agree that the best part of that pattern is to the right about 2-3 inches, but it wasnt always like that on the other shots. And yes the paper behind my turkey target was 48x48, it kept everything inside 30 which is great and all, but those patterns are too patchy and too broken up for the quality of these shells and a supposedly top of the line choke.

Philippe

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on September 25, 2011, 05:46:35 PM
I would have to agree with the poster.  That isn't bad, but for 30yds it ain't good either.  I would hate to see the pattern from that same load and distance using my 835 and Star Dot choke.  That's what you need to find.  It will be the most consistent choke in your 835.  A Pure Gold .670 is a pretty good one as well.  I have both.  I had an Indian Creek .675 and it shot pretty good too. 

Sir, i would be grateful to find a nice Star Dot for this gun. I know its asking alot but im always looking for one. I guess the  next best thing i can do is either get the Indian Creek or the Pure Gold. I really need this to be at least a 40+ gun, some of the areas i hunt are pretty open and some of these birds are very very stubborn.

SumToy

Did I miss what size that choke is.   I like the 675 rang in the guns.  Now some have had good luck out of  a 670.   Now if you want to just hunt that is a dead bird.  Now if you want to count shot and kill him what I would say is very dead  :TooFunny: Look into a ST a SD or a IC
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Philippe

Quote from: SumToy on September 25, 2011, 07:32:15 PM
Did I miss what size that choke is.   I like the 675 rang in the guns.  Now some have had good luck out of  a 670.   Now if you want to just hunt that is a dead bird.  Now if you want to count shot and kill him what I would say is very dead  :TooFunny: Look into a ST a SD or a IC

It says .676 on the choke itself. Now if the Indian Creek is a .675, is it going to be a world different in how it performs to what i have now? I just don't care to waste alot of money if i don't have too

ILIKEHEVI-13

Philippe,

I'm not one to lead you astray.  I will tell you that a Indian Creek choke shoots good.  Around 290 shot in a 10" at 40yds for probably an avg with the hevi-13 3.5" 2.25oz #7 loads.  Will the Pure Gold beat that I don't know.  I haven't shot it enough to tell you.  But what  I do know for certain is that neither of them will beat the Star Dot consistently.  But all 3 of these chokes will shoot very well.  If you can find a Star Dot that is in good shape for around $50 or less I would buy it.  The Star Dot I have is .676 exit diameter.  It will very easily avg over 300 shot in a 10" at 40yds in most turkey hunting weather.   

ILIKEHEVI-13

I'll add if I were to shoot the 835 with a Star Dot at 30yds I would hate to guess how many shot I could put in a 10" circle.  Probably 425 at least or or more.  That's just a guess.

Philippe

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on September 25, 2011, 08:00:34 PM
I'll add if I were to shoot the 835 with a Star Dot at 30yds I would hate to guess how many shot I could put in a 10" circle.  Probably 425 at least or or more.  That's just a guess.

Well i'd love to have one, so if you see anyone that has a nice one please let me know! I've been after one for a while now. :thanks:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here's the best the Star Dot has done so far at 40yds. 

I'd bet money that pattern at 30yds would easily be 450 shot in the 10". 

ILIKEHEVI-13

And that pattern was tape measured by me exactly at 40yds to target from tip of choke.  

I have turned also one almost as good in with the Pure Gold .670 choke I have.  But I will be honest so far the Pure Gold just doesn't seem to shoot as tight or consistenly as well as the Star Dot.  Not 1 choke I know of will beat the Star Dot in the 835.  Now that's as honest as I can be.