only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi-Shot Turkey choke Pattern PIX!

Started by Philippe, September 24, 2011, 04:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SumToy

Quote from: Philippe on September 25, 2011, 07:57:13 PM
Quote from: SumToy on September 25, 2011, 07:32:15 PM
Did I miss what size that choke is.   I like the 675 rang in the guns.  Now some have had good luck out of  a 670.   Now if you want to just hunt that is a dead bird.  Now if you want to count shot and kill him what I would say is very dead  :TooFunny: Look into a ST a SD or a IC

It says .676 on the choke itself. Now if the Indian Creek is a .675, is it going to be a world different in how it performs to what i have now? I just don't care to waste alot of money if i don't have too

It has alot to do with the lay out of the choke not the size.   It is odd with the HV-13 choke most folks have some good luck with them.  I think I know what it is with them but little more feed back will know.   I would think that the chokes I gave you will give good numbers and ILIKEHEVI has got good numbers from a PG also. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

ILIKEHEVI-13

Philippe,

This still in my honest opinion is the best overall 10" pattern I have ever shot.  Star Dot .676 choke was the culprit and Hevi-13 3.5" 2.25oz #7's.  40yds taped

Philippe

I would be very happy if i could get this gun to shoot like that in the next week or so. I just upset that Hevi choke performed like it did....

ILIKEHEVI-13

And I will say that William(SumToy) is producing some very good stainless chokes that are putting up some great numbers.  And he will work with you so you are happy. 

Philippe

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on September 25, 2011, 08:26:06 PM
And I will say that William(SumToy) is producing some very good stainless chokes that are putting up some great numbers.  And he will work with you so you are happy. 

Yeah i heard they are good guys that make some wicked chokes. I've read about them on other forums as well. Sometimes i feel as if i am expecting too much from this gun.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Philippe on September 25, 2011, 08:32:37 PM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on September 25, 2011, 08:26:06 PM
And I will say that William(SumToy) is producing some very good stainless chokes that are putting up some great numbers.  And he will work with you so you are happy.  

Yeah i heard they are good guys that make some wicked chokes. I've read about them on other forums as well. Sometimes i feel as if i am expecting too much from this gun.

Naa your not.  The 835 .775 bore barrels will put up some tremendous turkey patterns with Hevi-13 loads if you find the right choke.  Notice I said tremendous instead of very good or excellent.  It's not hard to make the 835 a very good shooter.  But if you play around a little you will see what I mean.  There will be some tremendous patterns to be shot.  But really your pattern will very easily kill a bird at 40yds.  And to some, that is all you need.

Philippe

I love the gun, dont mind the cruel recoil, i just want to toss a mean pattern to 40-45 incase i run into some of those stubborn birds again. I know one thing, im glad i dont have fillings, im sure they would have loosened up a bit today :TooFunny:

surehuntsalot

stay away from the hevishot choke tubes,they are not worth half the money they want for them
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Philippe

Quote from: surehuntsalot on September 25, 2011, 09:36:06 PM
stay away from the hevishot choke tubes,they are not worth half the money they want for them

I just learned that lesson today, you wanna buy mine? :TooFunny:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well that really depends on the gun your using them in.  They work very well in the Beretta Xtrema so I am told.   

allaboutshooting

I would really suggest that before you invest more money in another turkey choke for your 835 that you thoroughly "deep clean" the bore. It has been my experience that it can help more than might at first be imagined. I actually published that article because of my experiences over so many years in working with so many 835 shooters.

There are few guns on the market today that can match the patterns of the 835. The challenge becomes really cleaning the bore. If you'll follow the guidelines in the article and pay special attention the recommendation of using a 10 gauge brush or at least a good new 12 gauge brush and allow the Hoppe's #9 time to do its work, I think you'll see a real difference in your patterns.

It will take a little bit of your time but it may save you many dollars and much frustration in trying one choke after another.

The Hevi-13 choke is a good one, made from excellent materials and at least in my experience, delivers very good patterns.

One last recommendation that might be worth at least considering. I see much better patterns with straight #6 shot. I also recommend the 3" shells rather than the 3.5" shells. They just pattern more evenly for me but to each his own of course.

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. The article is entitled "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel" and you can find it by clicking on the banner below. I hope you find it helpful.
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Philippe

I appreciate your input, i was just reading about bore polishing a few minutes ago. I guess this is another thing i need to do before i hit the patterning board again next week!

Quote from: allaboutshooting on September 25, 2011, 10:14:12 PM
I would really suggest that before you invest more money in another turkey choke for your 835 that you thoroughly "deep clean" the bore. It has been my experience that it can help more than might at first be imagined. I actually published that article because of my experiences over so many years in working with so many 835 shooters.

There are few guns on the market today that can match the patterns of the 835. The challenge becomes really cleaning the bore. If you'll follow the guidelines in the article and pay special attention the recommendation of using a 10 gauge brush or at least a good new 12 gauge brush and allow the Hoppe's #9 time to do its work, I think you'll see a real difference in your patterns.

It will take a little bit of your time but it may save you many dollars and much frustration in trying one choke after another.

The Hevi-13 choke is a good one, made from excellent materials and at least in my experience, delivers very good patterns.

One last recommendation that might be worth at least considering. I see much better patterns with straight #6 shot. I also recommend the 3" shells rather than the 3.5" shells. They just pattern more evenly for me but to each his own of course.

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. The article is entitled "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel" and you can find it by clicking on the banner below. I hope you find it helpful.

Longshanks

Beretta/ Hevi Choke

300-310 in a 10 in circle @ 40.  (12 gauge)
170's in a 10 in circle @ 40  (20 gauge)

Turning good patterns has been a process for me with all of my guns. Have tried allot of the chokes out there such as Rhino, primos, tru glo, mad, kicks, Hastings, pure gold, and the list goes on. I have seen them all shoot terrible at one time or the other despite the fact they are all good chokes. All guns are different and finding the right combo for each gun has been a process for me. I've seen too many amazing patterns from hevi chokes out of my guns and others to claim that hevi choke is not a quality choke. Anytime you hit a good combo on the first try you are very fortunate. Polishing the barrel wouldn't hurt. I agree with Clark..try the 3/2/6's Hevi shot. I would hit up my turkey hunting friends and buy some single shells from them. Try a number of different shells before going out and buying other chokes or boxes of shells.  If it comes to that Star Dot (if you can find one) or Pure Gold would be my next choice.  Good luck..Keep on shooting!  :z-guntootsmiley:

Philippe

Well if i had any friends that hunted i would but i dont :(, I'd like to try the 3 1/2 6's and the Winchester extended range 3 1/2 6's still, but 20-40 a box is killing my pocket pook.

Quote from: Longshanks on September 25, 2011, 11:11:21 PM
Beretta/ Hevi Choke

300-310 in a 10 in circle @ 40.  (12 gauge)
170's in a 10 in circle @ 40  (20 gauge)

Turning good patterns has been a process for me with all of my guns. Have tried allot of the chokes out there such as Rhino, primos, tru glo, mad, kicks, Hastings, pure gold, and the list goes on. I have seen them all shoot terrible at one time or the other despite the fact they are all good chokes. All guns are different and finding the right combo for each gun has been a process for me. I've seen too many amazing patterns from hevi chokes out of my guns and others to claim that hevi choke is not a quality choke. Anytime you hit a good combo on the first try you are very fortunate. Polishing the barrel wouldn't hurt. I agree with Clark..try the 3/2/6's Hevi shot. I would hit up my turkey hunting friends and buy some single shells from them. Try a number of different shells before going out and buying other chokes or boxes of shells.  If it comes to that Star Dot (if you can find one) or Pure Gold would be my next choice.  Good luck..Keep on shooting!  :z-guntootsmiley:

davisd9

Here is a pattern from my 835 with a Star Dot choke and Hevi Mag Blends 3" shells.  There are 176 hits in 10" at 40 yards.  I have gotten more hits with other shells but this is a hunting pattern that gives the crazy behind the trigger room to shake a little.  :wave:  The pattern is even and them Mag Blends hits like a brick thrown from a cannon.  Do not count numbers, look for even with 150 or so hits at 40 yards in 10".  Too many hits at 40 makes your gun a rifle at 15 and under.  Good Luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer