OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pot call for beginner

Started by rubachub, February 25, 2017, 11:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rubachub

What would be a good call for a beginner? I have seen numerous surfaces, woods and strikers. I want something that won't cost a lot but I would want to keep it for a few years without needing to upgrade. Any suggestions?

Thanks

870BkWht

Most would say Slate and I wont disagree, but a Titanium Surface has a great sound and grips the striker well and gives you more versatility in sound.

SteelerFan

Kimmy Hanks signature series zebrawood glass over aluminum. Very easy call to run, and a safe investment.

http://www.hanksgamecalls.com/Glass_Calls.html

IMHO glass is easiest to run for consistent sound.

Mike Yingling (contact on here at: http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=175)

or Facebook : (https://www.facebook.com/Custom-Turkey-Game-Calls-Turnings-1529163204037776/)
makes a great affordable custom call also.

John Sinclair has some very nice pots too.

Availability will play a big part in your decision this time of year.

rubachub

Thanks for the help guys.

Steelerfan,
Great point about being limited on some of my choices, due to time. I will scroll through the classifieds and see if I can find some that fit y'all's description.

MickT

I'd look hard at a trough call as well. I got one at NWTF from Olin Humphries. There's a lot of turkey in that little piece of cedar. It will be my go to finisher since I don't get along with mouth calls. It's rectangular so I don't have to worry about it sliding around in my lap if I want to call 1 handed, and since the sound ports are on the ends, the call isn't muffled like a pot is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slicksbeagles1

I will agree that the mentioned calls have different pitch in sound due to surfaces but, to start out slate is more forgiving and easier to run you can make a small mistake on the slate that does not stand out as much as a mistake on the other surfaces such as glass, aluminum, crystal, copper etc.

tomfooleryy

I would contact jimmy schaffer at oak ridge custom calls and tell him what you are looking for and he would be able to point you in the right direction. He may even have something made up already.

MikeStaten

I'd probably go with a Schaffer aluminum.  It is real easy to run with the bead blasted surface and you don't need to condition it. 

beakbuster10

Darrin Dawkins stoned aluminum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JLH

Take a look at John sinclair's website.....Johnsinclaircustomcalls.com

He has a pile of calls that will benable in your mailbox in 3 days.

Give him a call as well, he may point you in the right direction.

His cherry crystal and cherry slate are top notch calls at a great price.

Happy

My suggestions if you want to go the custom route. Lonnie sneed. He makes a great slate and green glass. Honestly between those two calls you will be set and have as much in them as one of the high end customs. Not that you can't buy more if you choose.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

WillowRidgeCalls

Depending on the age of your hunter, I've always started new callers out on a glass surface. It's the easiest to run and allows you the most options for calling. Teach them how to condition the call and how to hold the striker. Once they learn that, it will be a lot easier for them to learn the calls and how to run them. They won't have to learn how to control a striker as bad on a glass surface as they would on other surfaces, and they won't get as disappointed try to do something they haven't learned yet. A plain glass surface is one of the easiest to run and get the sounds closest to a real turkey without having to learn all the fine points of controlling a striker. More importantly teach them woodsmanship, if a turkey hunter know how to get close and where to set up, they really don't need to know how to run a call good, a couple yelps, clucks and purrs no matter what they sound like,is all they need to know.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

John Sinclair CustomCalls

I offer a Cherry Crystal Persuasion & Cherry Yelper combo that gives you both a Slate and Crystal call and both dry and wet-weather strikers that are simple and consistent to play!!

raywa

Are titanium calls easy to use?

Dr Juice

They are. I would get either a titanium or a slate to become proficient with and then expand your inventory from there.