OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stevens over/under

Started by TrackeySauresRex, April 16, 2023, 01:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrackeySauresRex

Question for my over/under turkey thumpers out there. I'm thinking about setting this up with new chokes and I'm looking for suggestions. I would think top barrel would be a turkey/ex full and the bottom would be full. Would my assumption be correct. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Johnny
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

g8rvet

Depends on POI/POA but I set up a side by side and went XFull in one and Imp Mod in the other.  Lead #6 at 20 yards are poison out of a Imp Mod.  Lets you set up the tight barrel dead on and have a little leeway for the more open choke.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: g8rvet on April 16, 2023, 03:13:18 PM
Depends on POI/POA but I set up a side by side and went XFull in one and Imp Mod in the other.  Lead #6 at 20 yards are poison out of a Imp Mod.  Lets you set up the tight barrel dead on and have a little leeway for the more open choke.

I like this idea. I've hunted pheasants years ago with it. When I did pattern it the top barrel was pretty much right on and the bottom I had to bead over. I'm going to re pattern and try this, I hade plenty of lead #6,s to shoot.

howl

I set the red dot to be on the head for the top barrel. The lower barrel will then hit centered about mid neck. Chokes vary depending on what kind of pattern you want. If you go tighter than full without wad stripping, the pattern may not be as even as if you went full or looser.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: howl on April 16, 2023, 06:28:30 PM
I set the red dot to be on the head for the top barrel. The lower barrel will then hit centered about mid neck. Chokes vary depending on what kind of pattern you want. If you go tighter than full without wad stripping, the pattern may not be as even as if you went full or looser.

I'll check this out when I shoot it now. I did put a new fiber bead on it.

hunter85

I use Carlson chokes and run a 565 in the top and a 600 in the bottom. I shoot the same federal tss #9's in both barrels for me I am worried about shooting different ammo in the different barrels cause I know I would goof and put the wrong bullet in the wrong hole and mess everything up. My short barrel still gives me plenty of forgiveness inside of 20 and still has plenty of pellets if I miss judge to 35. I went with the 565 over a 555 in the long so if he does pop out at 25 when I'm thinking he is going to be at 40 I'm not trying to hit him with a golf ball and I think I was around 240 in a ten at 40.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: hunter85 on April 16, 2023, 10:12:56 PM
I use Carlson chokes and run a 565 in the top and a 600 in the bottom. I shoot the same federal tss #9's in both barrels for me I am worried about shooting different ammo in the different barrels cause I know I would goof and put the wrong bullet in the wrong hole and mess everything up.

Yes, this is definitely a concern and I can see me doing this.

tracker#1

I'm using the bottom barrel for long-range with a Sumtoy .562 with Ronnies "Little Hammer" load #8s tss and a Trulock LM .591 for "shoe-top" to 25 yards top barrel with hand loads, #7s nickel plated lead from BP recipe archives. I was told by O/U people your bottom barrel should be your long-range barrel because its lines up better with your shoulder, straight through... I love the gun

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: tracker#1 on April 17, 2023, 02:55:53 PM
I'm using the bottom barrel for long-range

When I experiment, I will try.
Thank you

Jordan121787

Quote from: tracker#1 on April 17, 2023, 02:55:53 PM
I'm using the bottom barrel for long-range with a Sumtoy .562 with Ronnies "Little Hammer" load #8s tss and a Trulock LM .591 for "shoe-top" to 25 yards top barrel with hand loads, #7s nickel plated lead from BP recipe archives. I was told by O/U people your bottom barrel should be your long-range barrel because its lines up better with your shoulder, straight through... I love the gun

It is true. I've experimented with both and the long range was better on the bottom.  Trulock .601 on top , Sumtoy .562 on bottom

Sungrazer

Maybe I need to re-test my setup?
.565 Trulock LBXR choke in top barrel LBXR #6
.595 Imp. Mod. Carlsons in bottom barrel #6 golden pheasant.

cutt down

Quote from: g8rvet on April 16, 2023, 03:13:18 PM

I do the same but in an over/under ATI Cavalry 20ga. Top barrel is IM with lead #5's & bottom is Carlson .575 with tss 9's. This past weekend wife & I doubled with her taking one bird & I shot the other after her report. I had switched over to the IM with lead 5's when he was bumping my half strut jake. It smoked him at 25yds. No sense in tss at that distance in my opinion. 

I had my ATI cerakoted Cobalt but left the satin finished wood alone. It looks great. Have a swampfox kingslayer mounted on the rib.

BandedSpur

Been shooting O/Us exclusively since I started loading TSS in 2009. A good quality O/U with well regulated barrels will shoot the same shells to the same POI at 40 yds. But if you shoot shells that have different payload weights (as I do), you will definitely want to shoot the shell with the heavier payload in the bottom barrel to keep the POIs as close as possible. If you shoot the heavier payload in the top barrel, it will almost certainly shoot higher than the lower barrel due to the way that O/Us recoil. Felt recoil with equal loads is less from the bottom barrel, which is why all competitive clay target shooters set up their O/Us to shoot the bottom barrel first. The lower barrel recoils more straight back into the shoulder with less muzzle rise compared to the top barrel.

Same goes for a SxS. If well regulated, they will shoot both barrels to the same POI at 40 yds with field loads. As payload weight increases, the right barrel will shoot to the right and the left barrel will shoot to the left due to the geometry of the barrels and how they recoil.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: BandedSpur on April 20, 2023, 08:11:01 AM
Been shooting O/Us exclusively since I started loading TSS in 2009. A good quality O/U with well regulated barrels will shoot the same shells to the same POI at 40 yds. But if you shoot shells that have different payload weights (as I do), you will definitely want to shoot the shell with the heavier payload in the bottom barrel to keep the POIs as close as possible. If you shoot the heavier payload in the top barrel, it will almost certainly shoot higher than the lower barrel due to the way that O/Us recoil. Felt recoil with equal loads is less from the bottom barrel, which is why all competitive clay target shooters set up their O/Us to shoot the bottom barrel first. The lower barrel recoils more straight back into the shoulder with less muzzle rise compared to the top barrel.

Same goes for a SxS. If well regulated, they will shoot both barrels to the same POI at 40 yds with field loads. As payload weight increases, the right barrel will shoot to the right and the left barrel will shoot to the left due to the geometry of the barrels and how they recoil.

This ^^ I had to read a few times  :TooFunny:

So recently purchased some new Turlock's 560 & 585 I wanted to shoot lead 5's or 6's on top. I have a bunch of 2-3/4 HW 7's  I wanted to shoot out of the bottom. However the payload is "Slightly lighter"  Which means my point of aim can/may be off. I'll keep an on on this
After all the good comments, I'm hoping my close range isn't too tight @ 585.

Quote from: Sungrazer on April 18, 2023, 12:25:01 PM
Maybe I need to re-test my setup?
.565 Trulock LBXR choke in top barrel LBXR #6
.595 Imp. Mod. Carlsons in bottom barrel #6 golden pheasant.

That makes two of us  :toothy12:

Thank you All for great suggestions

ncquackersmacker

I bought a Yildiz youth 20ga o/u and fortunately it shoots great top and bottom barrel. I put a red dot on it with a meadow creek mount. It is a dream to carry but damn does it kick!  Shooting 1 5/8oz TSS out of both barrels. Top is full, bottom is imp. cyl. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk