turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thunder Chicken LOL

Started by MK M GOBL, March 14, 2017, 10:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

So having a discussion on ridiculous names "they" come up with, buddy always talks about killing a "Thunder Chicken" I said if anything I'd be killing a THUNDER BIRD!! I don't shoot no chickens.

Sent him these, he's been pretty quiet since this :) LOL

MK M GOBL

Cottonmouth

I never cared for the term "thunder chicken" either.

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

1iagobblergetter

I think it's a ridiculous name also only spurred on by some of the foolish big companies selling products. I remember hearing it alot on different turkey hunting dvds. Between that and smoked em was also ran into the ground on them also.Different strokes for different folks though.

Spitten and drummen

Personally i get a nauseated feeling everytime i hear those words. What do you expect from clowns though.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

SinGin

Quote from: Cottonmouth on March 14, 2017, 11:35:22 PM

X3 or the word dekes for decoys. Just my small pet peeves

BottomLand54

I put out my dekes last year and killed a thunder chicken

What is a thunder chicken?

A Rhode island red during a thunderstorm?

However we call em birds but what kinda birds we talking: Cardinals, blue jays, doves, geese, ducks, etc.

I guess I better learn the correct lingo would hate to kill a turkey and not know the correct slang!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

guesswho

If I ever decide to hunt Thunder Chickens I'm going to get me one of those Thunder Domes you sit in and one of those old Lohman Thunder Dome calls.  I actually liked the old Thunder Dome calls.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

tha bugman

There is one of my friends who uses it quite regularly that my toes curl every time he says it....like fingernails on a chalkboard!

Rzrbac

Good to know I'm not alone here.  I remember reading about prairie chickens when I was young I thought that's what they were called when they made their little drumming noises.  I grew up hunting gobblers or as we referred to them birds.

I hate that term, seems disrespectful to greatest game bird God created.

Tennessee Lead

Can't stand the term! Drives me crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: SinGin on March 15, 2017, 02:15:50 PM
Quote from: Cottonmouth on March 14, 2017, 11:35:22 PM
X3 or the word dekes for decoys. Just my small pet peeves
x 4!! I can't stand that term for gobblers. ::)
Then again, I am guilty of using dekes for decoys all the time. ;D

901CritterGitter

Just reading this is making me cringe ! Off topic , but just today I was watching a YouTube video of a fella catching a big rainbow trout, and he kept saying "look at that bowwww" I couldn't click off fast enough.

wvmntnhick

As a younger man, we referred to a turkey as a fuel injected robin. Mainly to not give away the fact we were discussing turkeys. The old boy I graduated high school and I would simply talk about the "robins" from time to time to keep it under the radar. I wasn't much of a turkey hunter at that point in my life and many would still say the case is still the same. However, the past few years I've put in some serious time and would've called them whatever they wanted to be called last year if it put one in front of me under the right circumstances. Having said that, there's several phrases that do get to me now that didn't bother me in the past. The Thunder Chicken moniker and "can't stop the flop" are two things I can't stand right now. Also, "smoked 'em" as mentioned before. I've shot plenty of game animals over the years. I own a smoker but have never used it at this point. Not certain where that comes from nor do I care. It just gets me a bit uneasy but to each their own and it's not my job to judge others based on how they want to refer to things or behave after the shot is fired.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: 901CritterGitter on March 15, 2017, 06:23:29 PM
Just reading this is making me cringe ! Off topic , but just today I was watching a YouTube video of a fella catching a big rainbow trout, and he kept saying "look at that bowwww" I couldn't click off fast enough.
Maybe he snagged a piece of archery equipment. Did you watch long enough to find out?