OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stupid me

Started by 2eagles, September 25, 2016, 09:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2eagles

The river near a property I deer hunt is currently flooded. It's the second worst flood, only to what we had in 2008. We knew it was coming because of record rains north of us and I messed up. I had a nice food plot growing and I had two trail cams in the timber. I completely forgot the cams were out, so now they are under water. I'm sure my radishes are gone too. Compared to losses many are going through, I really can't complain, but I do feel stupid knowing the flood was coming and me not getting the cameras out of the woods.
Question time?!? Do you think my cameras are ruined? The river is forecast to be above flood stage until the end of the week.

Tail Feathers

Most likely they are toast. 
Someone on here a while backposted pics of their camera taking pics of flooding, even after the camera went under.  It then snapped pics as the water receded.  I think it was a homemade setup in a protective box.  Impressive performance!  Not many will survive that I'm sorry to say.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

wvmntnhick

Most likely, they're done. They handle rain fairly well but I doubt many were designed to be submerged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captpete

Yep, betting they are toast. I was lucky and got mine pulled before the water came up.

Here is the link to the thread TaiFeathers is referring to...it was one of my homebrews. I had another one that ididn't fair as well.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,47862.msg479112.html#msg479112

mtns2hunt

There maybe hope for them. Take them down and dry them as well as possible. DO NOT TURN THEM ON). Put them in a bag of silica gel packs (available at most pharmacies)(never Rice). Then take them to your nearest phone repair store and ask them to do a water treatment process. This entails taking out the board. Scrubbing out any corrosion, dirt ex. Then putting them in a sonic cleaner with alcohol. They then go into a dehumidifier. This is the same process used to salvage cell phones that take a dip in the lake or toilet. Quicker you get it treated the better the success although I have treated phone six months after they took a dip and brought them back.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

2eagles

Quote from: mtns2hunt on September 26, 2016, 10:32:34 PM
There maybe hope for them. Take them down and dry them as well as possible. DO NOT TURN THEM ON). Put them in a bag of silica gel packs (available at most pharmacies)(never Rice). Then take them to your nearest phone repair store and ask them to do a water treatment process. This entails taking out the board. Scrubbing out any corrosion, dirt ex. Then putting them in a sonic cleaner with alcohol. They then go into a dehumidifier. This is the same process used to salvage cell phones that take a dip in the lake or toilet. Quicker you get it treated the better the success although I have treated phone six months after they took a dip and brought them back.
My cameras are probably not worth what all this would cost. They are only in the 100 buck price range. Nice to know in case my smarter than me phone ever takes a dip. Thanks for your input.!

2eagles

Come on guys.  :'( I know my cameras are probably toast, but I was hoping for a little encouragement here. I didn't get much sympathy from my wife either.
Seriously, I feel really bad for the folks whose homes were damaged or destroyed.

GSLAM95

If you only had $200 in two cameras I would consider it an inexpensive lesson learned compared to the cost of some of the cameras out there today. 
The home-brew cameras I made years ago with a Sony P-41 and SnapShotSniper board in a Pelican case hold up very well in the Southern IL weather but I couldn't afford the risk of leaving them out if I knew they were going under water.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

owlhoot

Quote from: 2eagles on September 27, 2016, 07:32:06 AM
Come on guys.  :'( I know my cameras are probably toast, but I was hoping for a little encouragement here. I didn't get much sympathy from my wife either.
Seriously, I feel really bad for the folks whose homes were damaged or destroyed.
I would encourage you to plan on buyin some new cameras  ;)
What ? Your wife shaking her head didn't work ,lol
Oh well lesson learned .

docost99

Pop the cards out and dry them off. They should be usable.

guesswho

Encouraging news.   They should be fine, it all depends how wet the water is. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

2eagles

The cameras were under about 6 feet of water, judging from the high water marks on near by trees. By the time I got to them, the cameras were toast and the batteries were rusted pretty bad. One SD card was ok and the other seems ruined. I still feel pretty stupid, but it's not the dumbest thing I've ever done.

captpete

The good news is it sounds like that is all you lost. The way way the rivers were flooding a couple of weeks of go it could have been much worse. Like I posted earlier, I was lucky and thought about my camera or I would have been in the same position.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: docost99 on October 03, 2016, 08:26:04 PM
Pop the cards out and dry them off. They should be usable.

Good advice. I frequently wash my cards (unintentionally) and they always survive.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: wvmntnhick on September 26, 2016, 05:38:48 AM
Most likely, they're done. They handle rain fairly well but I doubt many were designed to be submerged.
^^^^
This!!!