News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TSS compared to lead

Started by agent eight seven O, April 08, 2021, 04:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Number17

Quote from: agent eight seven O on April 08, 2021, 04:45:23 PM
#9 tss is equivilant to lead #5. So what would #7 tss compare to in lead?

Deductive logic says between a #2-#4
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

strum

I guess i dont under stand the math /logic here.  why is tss #9 equivalent to lead #5 ?  I thought #9 tss is lethal much farther than lead #5. what am i missing?

Turkeytaker203

The comments about pheasant loads made me laugh. A couple years ago I found a case (250 round count) of Federal Prairie Storm pheasant loads for $69.00. They were normally $225.00. I bought them and they patterned really well out of one of my 870's with a Ventilator choke tube so I tried them one season on turkeys. Killed two birds hammer dead! At 28 cents per round, not a bad deal. Mostly use LongBeards now but it just shows that quality lead rounds still work. Turkeys heads have not developed a helmet yet!   :OGturkeyhead:

Dtrkyman

Quote from: strum on April 10, 2021, 09:58:10 AM
I guess i dont under stand the math /logic here.  why is tss #9 equivalent to lead #5 ?  I thought #9 tss is lethal much farther than lead #5. what am i missing?

TSS 9s pattern holds up to much longer distances even if lethality were the same per pellet. In a 12ga out to 40yds TSS has little benefit in my opinion, now in sub gauge guns it is a night and day difference, I started handloading to get onto the 20ga game and immediately had a more effective gun with a lil 1 5/8th load than any load up to 2 1/4 oz I have ever had, not even close actually.

If I started over I would probably go 28ga, though I got a smoking deal on my 20 though.

Currently looking at loading an 1 1/4 instead of 1 5/8ths, even in the 20 that load holds up way farther than I would shoot at a turkey! 

bbcoach

Quote from: strum on April 10, 2021, 09:58:10 AM
Two factors play into this equation, 1. Pellet count per ounce (TSS #9-362 vs lead #5-172) 2. TSS is denser (which retains kinetic energy longer).  Here's the math, since a 2 ounce load of #9 TSS has 724 pellets in it compared to 344 #5 lead and TSS is denser which retains kinetic energy longer and if the velocity is the same in each shell (let's say 1200 FPS), the TSS pellets will retain their energy farther down range and put more pellets on target then lead, with the right choke.  The lead loads pattern will fall apart much sooner and lose kinetic much quicker than TSS.