only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best Striking Call

Started by StruttinGobbler3, March 13, 2020, 11:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 13, 2020, 04:39:06 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on March 13, 2020, 02:27:20 PM
I've seen screaming locator calls , make birds go silent , it's not something natural they hear very often.

It's all good.  If you don't like 'em, don't use 'em.  :)
...For those that do, be courteous to your fellow hunters and try not to mess up another guy's hunt when doing so.
I so agree , be courteous to your fellow hunters, and just kill birds the old fashion way, with good woodsmanship and boot's on the ground. That's why you have turkey calls use them to call birds.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 13, 2020, 04:54:56 PM
I so agree , be courteous to your fellow hunters, and just kill birds the old fashion way, with good woodsmanship and boot's on the ground. That's why you have turkey calls use them to call birds.

Again, it's all good.  Hunt the way you want and those of us that use locators will do the same.  Just trying to help the individual with the original question....

rakkin6

I have a hooks that I like really well. But honestly we have so many crows around here I usually just let them get them going on their own. What I have found has worked good for me is a peacock call and a goose call. I think it is just because it is different. I hunt public land so you can hear guys just hooting away in the morning. I don't even do anything in the mornings most of the time they will start gobbling on their own. Usually around 0900 I will start using a locator. I had one going insane when I slammed my truck door. Needless to say I shut it a couple more times to get a bead on him and setup. But walked away empty handed but it was funny.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Greg Massey

My suggestion is limit your using of screaming locator calls. I have never seen them do much, in helping you locate birds. Stick with natural locator calls. And use you turkey calls during the season also for locating birds. . Just my opinion in trying to help you other's who are thinking of using screaming locator calls.

hotspur

In my area I vote for glass pot for striking

shatcher

Gibson or Gosey.  They're about the same call.  Two rings as opposed to three.

perrytrails

I've carried a faulks C-50 since the 80's, walnut and cherry. Very loud and realistic. I bought extra reeds for it years ago, still have the original in it. One great thing about it, it doesn't lock up like others.

I've struck many birds over the years with it. I won't hunt without it.

Bowguy

I'm a little surprised by this. Locators can work wonders at times. I agree loud is good. I'll say I change things up though. Early morning I use a hootin stick if I use any at all. Most commonly it's what I use scouting. It's out now for tomo morn. The roll or laugh is what gets em. Least around here. Plain Jane hooting just doesn't get the same response.
As the day progresses, a Gibson crow, the screamer type. It's loud n made for locating birds. If that isn't working for some reason, a call say a crystal mistress, but any pot that pops good will see me cutting on it. I used mouth calls more commonly years past. Issues I have now limit my mouth call use but cutting is pretty guaranteed to fire one up.
Problem is it's a turkey sound, you'll eventually get busted or caught unready when the just show up in the middle of you're trying to strike a bird. For that reason it's best as a last chance technique

Rapscallion Vermilion

Several years ago, while doing some late afternoon scouting here in New Mexico, I let loose on a very loud crow call up a long steep draw that my buddy and I had never hunted, but had been curious about. From way way up at the top of that draw we heard a delayed gobble, almost at the limit of hearing. Hit the crow call again with everything I could give it and sure enough we got a delayed answer.  I killed a nice gobbler up at the top of that draw the next morning and we've now taken three more out of there over the last 5 years.  One particular issue out here is the vast distances one has to cover in order to locate the turkeys, so a very loud call is definitely an asset.