OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Yelping on a trumpet

Started by Southerngobbler, July 10, 2019, 05:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southerngobbler

I'm very new to playing a trumpet and have a question on getting started. When trying to yelp is each yelp two different intakes of air, one intake of air per yelp or one longer continuous intake of air for multiple yelps with each individual yelp being formed by cupping or uncupping your hands.

Rapscallion Vermilion

One very soft, not enough to breath with, draw of air per yelp

paboxcall

This thread should answer a lot of your questions about technique. Its three pages long, worth your time to give it a very close and careful read.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,91179.0.html
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

davisd9

As stated it is a single drawing of air.  If you feel like you are out of breath then you are drawing too hard. It takes a lot less air to run than you would think.  Draw air through your throat like you are drinking from a straw. Lip stop positioning is important for your seal and draw.  Good luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Sir-diealot

This is just advise that was passed onto me from Gergg and it helped my sound a lot. "Sounds like you are squeezing your lips too hard. Try and pull the air through the mouthpiece by saying Whah, Whah, Whah....air drawing....Not so much a kissing technique. When drawing the air you need to figure out the proper back pressure from the hands over the bell, try 80% air restriction and adjust from there." That "Whah, Whah, Whah" made a lot of difference for me.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

davisd9

You should be able to breathe while you are playing and drawing.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

nitro

Royal Slam 2008

KentuckyHeadhunter

If you hang a Cox or Buice around your neck you don't even need to play it.  Just wait....he will come..................... :OGani:
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

paboxcall

Quote from: nitro on July 10, 2019, 07:17:37 PM
Wow.

See the link below. Nitro wrote this helpful post back in 2017, and it is stellar advise for beginners.

He notes the importance of finding a mouthpiece / lip position where you can control the air. While practicing indoors, in the car, or on the back deck is invaluable to learning, running the call on a cold spring morning can be much more difficult. Be good to incorporate those real-world conditions in your all year long practice routine - try running your trumpet outside when it 30-40 degrees.

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Southerngobbler

Thanks everyone for all the input. It gives me something to work on for sure.

nitro

Dang. I got moderated...  :TooFunny: I will stand by my comment that taking advice from someone who is the trumpet playing equivelent of a 4 year old riding a Big Wheel telling Lance Armstrong he is leaning into a curve too far is not a good idea.

PRACTICE. There is no other way to get proficient. Moderate away. Some folks cant appreciate truth and the truth hurts their ego.
Royal Slam 2008

EZ

There are some very good instructionals on YouTube by Del Crow and Marlin Watkins that explains technique very well.

Most experienced folks will say things like "less is more" and "effortlessly". Keep these terms in mind while you are practicing (learning) your technique.... they are key.

Terry

Get a sound in your head you want to duplicate and work till you can. Ten minutes a day will do wonders

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

outdoors

DON'T PRACTICE WHILE YOU'RE DRIVING

I used to do it  not no more
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Terry

Quote from: outdoors on July 11, 2019, 01:58:52 PM
DON'T PRACTICE WHILE YOU'RE DRIVING

I used to do it  not no more
There has to be a story behind that

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk