OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best trumpet to learn on.

Started by spoonbill, February 15, 2017, 10:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoonbill

What trumpet or wingbone would you guys suggest for a newbee?

troutfisher13111

Brian Mero, Natural Addiction, Billy Buice, and AGE have been the easiest to play for me. I learned on the Natural Addiction.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

boatpaddle

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

davisd9

KP Calls or as mentioned Builly Buice or Natural Addiction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

nitro

Some constructive observations on the topic - IMHO, learning the technique is at least as important ( if not more important) than the instrument. I hear way too many soundbites of calling that gets kudos, that to me is merely adequate.. too much kissing and smacking ..relax .

Learn to call with one hand as a sound chamber, learn to position the mouthpiece on your lips in a place that you can control the air and draw. Relax your lips and learn to smoothly draw the air into the call. Trumpets are very versatile and don't need to be hammered on (like most people I hear playing them).  Your hand position should remain constant - in a hunting scenario, movement gets you busted by a sharp eyed LongBeard.

It takes time to learn to play one well. The daily "due diligence" pays off. Keep your call with you and practice when you have time. Make your practice consistent , if your lips get sore, you are putting too much pressure on the mouthpiece. Call outside when possible so you can really hear how your calling sounds. Recording your calling helps you to understand where you need to improve- get your yelping cadence down pat and don't smack!! Practice your air control to get that two tone yelp.. Rasp will come with time and lack of jaw movement.. Too many folks think that moving the jaw improves the sound - and it's really air control that provides the tone.. Clear as mud, yes???

If you watch Zach Farmer, Patrick Gamble or John Dangerfield play one, you will understand. Those men use an effortless draw of air and control of the hand which is critical. Trumpet calls can make the purest of realistic calls and are deadly - in the hands of someone who can truly play one. Trumpet calls are gaining a new audience and enthusiasts - which is a good thing. Put in the time and gain confidence - then go kill some Gobblers. Good luck!!

Royal Slam 2008

outdoors

SOME GOOD ONE MENTION
JUST GET THE BEST U CAN AFORD & PRACTICE & PRACTICE
IF IT DOESNT WORK OUT U CAN SELL FOR WHAT U HAVE INVESTED
FOR A GOOD ONE EASY TO WORK TALK TO crawdad HE IS ON THE FORUM.............
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

M Sharpe

Quote from: nitro on February 16, 2017, 08:02:24 AM
Some constructive observations on the topic - IMHO, learning the technique is at least as important ( if not more important) than the instrument. I hear way too many soundbites of calling that gets kudos, that to me is merely adequate.. too much kissing and smacking ..relax .

Learn to call with one hand as a sound chamber, learn to position the mouthpiece on your lips in a place that you can control the air and draw. Relax your lips and learn to smoothly draw the air into the call. Trumpets are very versatile and don't need to be hammered on (like most people I hear playing them).  Your hand position should remain constant - in a hunting scenario, movement gets you busted by a sharp eyed LongBeard.

It takes time to learn to play one well. The daily "due diligence" pays off. Keep your call with you and practice when you have time. Make your practice consistent , if your lips get sore, you are putting too much pressure on the mouthpiece. Call outside when possible so you can really hear how your calling sounds. Recording your calling helps you to understand where you need to improve- get your yelping cadence down pat and don't smack!! Practice your air control to get that two tone yelp.. Rasp will come with time and lack of jaw movement.. Too many folks think that moving the jaw improves the sound - and it's really air control that provides the tone.. Clear as mud, yes???

If you watch Zach Farmer, Patrick Gamble or John Dangerfield play one, you will understand. Those men use an effortless draw of air and control of the hand which is critical. Trumpet calls can make the purest of realistic calls and are deadly - in the hands of someone who can truly play one. Trumpet calls are gaining a new audience and enthusiasts - which is a good thing. Put in the time and gain confidence - then go kill some Gobblers. Good luck!!

Excellent advice!! Draw that air all the way to the back of your throat. You should be able to breath and still play the call.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

troutfisher13111

I think to many beginners think you have to suck air in. It's really the motion of your jaw that draws the air in, and it's very little motion at that. It's hard to explain, but once to get it, you get it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1iagobblergetter

A couple others with usually obtainable trumpets are Ralph Permar and Matt McClain they make a great trumpet.

troutfisher13111

Yeah, I forgot about Permar. Also, I just got one from Misfire last week that is easy to run and has a great sound

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rapscallion Vermilion

This is really well put.  Good advice by you and Mark.  There was a video going around briefly of Zach Farmer running a trumpet.  Amazing talent.  Wish I had found a way of copying it at the time.

KPcalls

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on February 16, 2017, 10:01:28 PM

This is really well put.  Good advice by you and Mark.  There was a video going around briefly of Zach Farmer running a trumpet.  Amazing talent.  Wish I had found a way of copying it at the time.

I couldn't agree more with Nitro...If I could add anything it would be making a mental note of breathing through the call while I'm playing.  Learning to play with one hand is also a very important point.  I'm glad you mentioned that Nitro, because most people think I'm crazy when I mention it.... ;D

As far as call makers, there have been several mentioned. You can also have the call maker play his call for you.

KPcalls

There was a video going around briefly of Zach Farmer running a trumpet.  Amazing talent.  Wish I had found a way of copying it at the time.
[/quote]

I saw that video Mike...Zack can sure play his call.  He sounds more like he's running a mouth call than a trumpet. I've been told it's run totally different than the way you run a trumpet.  Maybe Nitro would shed some light on the subject.

troutfisher13111

I'd sure like to see that video. I looked for it and couldn't find it...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

nitro

I actually have two video clips of Zach running a Woodwind call. One with him running my Ironwood call. And one of him in the shop. Zach developed his style of calling that is suited to his call specifically. His yelping is very smooth..and very realistic.

You can run a Farmer call like any other trumpet... it's Zach's playing that is different. Replicating what Zach sounds like is not easy.. I can't post up the videos without Zach's permission, so I wont be doing that. :icon_thumright:

Quote from: KPcalls on February 17, 2017, 12:08:09 AM
  There was a video going around briefly of Zach Farmer running a trumpet.  Amazing talent.  Wish I had found a way of copying it at the time.

I saw that video Mike...Zack can sure play his call.  He sounds more like he's running a mouth call than a trumpet. I've been told it's run totally different than the way you run a trumpet.  Maybe Nitro would shed some light on the subject.
[/quote]
Royal Slam 2008