Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

A couple of questions about public land...

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 13, 2017, 01:45:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

I read a little more into the rules for the public land that I will be hunting (glad I did!) and found out that it is only open Thursday/Friday/Saturday. Being that you can only hunt it three days a week, there is likely no doubt that there will be plenty of people out hunting.

1.) How close is considered too close to another hunter on public land? If another hunter is sitting on a field, would it be considered poor sportsmanship to hunt the creek that is only 100-200 yards away?

2.) If I am successful on public land, what do you/should I do with the bird after harvesting it? Is it ok to clean the bird right on the spot and leave the remains, or is it best to take it somewhere else and clean it?

If there is anything else that I should know/be aware of, please let me know.

Thank you.

Bowguy

100-200 yards away is unsportsmanlike. What if someone did it to you? Read all the info about getting away from the crowds

turkeyfoot

Better check your regs close what state you in because some don't allow you t clean a bird without checking it in first you come walking out with bag of turkey meat better meet your state guidelines

HFultzjr

#1...yes, move on...way on, not just "a couple hundred yards".
#2...no problems if legal. Just make sure to check your regulations.

GobbleNut

Regardless of where you hunt, most if not all states have booklets or pamphlets that will tell you what you need to know about hunting there.  Nowadays, that info can also be found on-line.  Regardless of where any of us hunt, it is a basic responsibility of each of us to review the regulations for hunting there.  Often, there are specific regulations for specific hunt areas, as well.  Always read the regulations!

As for how close you should be to other hunters, 200 yards is way too close.  If you are hunting somewhere you even think you are going to be interacting with other hunters anywhere near that close, you should either 1) plan on being the first person there and hope that the other hunters understand the unwritten rule about honoring the first guy there,...or 2) be looking for another place to hunt. 

renegade19

Way, way, way too close.  I'd also make sure to have something "safe" to tote the bird back out in.  Vest, orange game bag, something.  Just to make sure you're not the next longbeard harvested.

WNCTracker

If I can see or hear anyone else I move as far away as possible even if I was there first, it just ruins it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Good rule of thumb is if your both calling at same bird your to close if he was there first move on  no need to ruin someone's hunt and trying to cut a bird off is good way to get shot so really there is no set distance but 1-2000 yards is pretty close

2eagles

I can see where you wouldn't even know if another hunter was 200 yards away. I most always hunt public ground that has multiple access points. You go in and it's very dark, the timber is thick and a little windy, limiting what you can hear. You might not have a clue some is close by until you hear a boom. Moral of the story is be careful.

TauntoHawk

Try and be there first. I wouldn't "knowingly" even hunt the same birds as someone else if they were there before me.. obviously you can hunt the same bird without knowing another hunters presence just stay safe

I've never not carried a bird out whole but the regs will be different state to state but I'd say its better to take the whole thing. Think about  a non hunter finding a "cut up" bird carcass, they might not understand you took all usable parts just don't leave anything laying around I dont have too
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MK M GOBL

I have had a number of instances where I was working a bird to be cut off by another "hunter", 200 yards is way to close. During one hunt I was calling/videoing for a bow hunt and had a bird on the roost going/gobbling, watched another "hunter" come within 50 yards stopped looked at us and kept going in. So bird flies down and I get some response back and next thing I hear is a BOOM... guy put himself between the bird and our set, pretty low. Watched him walk back out about 100 yards from us.

Glad I have plenty of private ground access now.

MK M GOBL

Marc

First off, I commend you for posting this thread...

Many people go out hunting and break all kinds of rules of etiquette simply due to ignorance, or worse, lack of concern or consideration.  I applaud you in taking some steps to avoid such faux pas.

As to how close?  I agree with the answer that if you and another hunter are calling the same bird, you are too close.

Some of the public land areas are awful big, with limited parking access.  I know of one place near me, that is about 2 miles long with only one access point...  I hate hunting there, cause there is no way to tell where another hunter is (if someone is parked there already), or might go (if I park there first).

Other areas are small, and if someone is there before me, I need a plan B.  If someone else pulls in, and tries to hunt, I might have some words later in the morning (a polite request for consideration).

And remember, that not all (if many) other hunters will have the same consideration and etiquette that you do, but that should not prevent you from continuing to do your best to be responsible and considerate to others.

As far as cleaning a bird, I cannot imagine how that would be legal in many states, as you have to have proof of a beard in California (and many other states).  I suppose you could pluck the bird and leave the beard and a wing attached...

I believe that game birds in almost every state at the very least need a wing attached to be able to identify species and gender of the game taken.

If I pluck a bird in the field, I try to do it in such a way that it does not leave a big mess...  Often, I might pluck a bird over a canal, or bring my own trash bag to get most of the feathers...  I know I do not want to trudge through a bunch of someone else's feathers in the parking lot.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

2eagles

This reminds me of the time I was getting set up to go across a huge CRP field to a timber to hunt. Public ground with only one parking lot accessed by a long lane. I was about ready to leave the truck when another truck came flying in and parked on the back side of my truck where I couldn't see him. I was sure the guy was trying to beat me into the woods. I was ready to leave when he came into view. It was the game warden, who happens to be a friend of my son. He thought I was hurrying to get away from him. I thought he was a hunter who wanted to beat me to the spot. We both had a good laugh over the encounter. Oh, and yes, he did check my license!

catman529

1) it's not so much about distance as it is trying not to set up on a bird someone else is calling to. Now sometimes you don't know anyone's set up on him, and sometimes they don't know you're set up on him, so expect to cross paths with other people sometimes.

I hunt a place that is only open for a few days at a time like your place. It does get hunted hard, and I've walked near other hunters, and had other hunters go after "my" bird, and I've set up on birds not knowing someone else was set up on them. That's just part of it, all I can do is try to find a tom where I don't think anyone else is hunting. Also time of day plays a big part in the hunting pressure. Early morning will usually be your most crowded time.

2) don't just dress it and leave the carcass there... Find a better place to dispose of it, whether it's a friends farm (if they let you) or double bag and put it in the trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk