turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pot Call Conditioning

Started by hawk, January 17, 2017, 10:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawk

It would great for newcomers like myself if there was a sticky on pot call conditioning. A guide that would cover all of the different surfaces and proper conditioning of each. Just a thought.

wvmntnhick

It's not a sticky but I can tell you what I do with mine.

Glass/crystal: start with rough sandpaper or drywall screen. Smooth it out with fine paper or a stone. The Primos slick stick is about all I use after that. It's got a rough side and a smooth stone that will do the rest as well as a piece of scothcbrite if you need to go finer.

Aluminum: sandpaper and occasionally a stone and then smooth it out with a piece of scothcbrite if needed.

Ceramic: near nothing. Might hit it with sandpaper occasionally. 

Titanium and copper: fine sandpaper and scotchbrite until I get it where I want it.

Slate: scotchbrite only unless I find one that's picky. Then I'll hammer it with a coarse paper and fine tune it with something finer until it decides to comply. If it doesn't, I give it away. Not a slate fan for the most part but I've got 2 that won't be leaving any time soon.

With aluminum and copper, make certain all the dust is off the surface. I've found that these two surfaces will foul a striker faster than anything. Not all conclusive but it's what I use. Should also add that I always run the abrasives in the same direction on all calls, regardless of surface. Use scotchbrite to clean striker tips. Might use fine sandpaper but I try to avoid that. Have used a pocket knife at times but always go with the grain. Keep some alcohol wipes handy for the metal surfaces that leave fine residue just in case. Some will use them on strikers as well. Others will add more I'm sure but this is just what I do. It's worked so far but occasionally I'll run into one that's a PIA and will have someone else give it a shot before I lose patience with it.

misfire

Here are my thoughts on pot call conditioning. Do NOT rub back and forth with whatever abrasive you prefer. What happens is, when you rub in the first direction, you are cutting material out of the surface, but when you rub back the other direction, you are pushing a lot of what you just cut back into the grooves. You then have to rub more and more which shortens the life of the call. Rub in one direction, pick up the abrasive and move it back to iriganl starting position and rub in same direction. Then either blow the dust off or rub it on your pants.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

jwright8

Glass/crystal I use a drywall screen. I tried a stone for a while. But prefer the screen. Everyone has their own ways. Slate I use scotch brite.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Bowguy

Lots of great advice already but I wanna say w aluminum there's dif types. Some you use only alcohol wipes, say Schafer's,  some you use scothbrite or sandpaper like Blackstones n some chalk on the striker tip like Dawkins anondized, don't ask me why but that thing never slips n it hasn't been chalked in months!