OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pot call conditioning question?

Started by HFultzjr, March 12, 2016, 04:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HFultzjr

Hey all,

When conditioning your pot calls (slate, glass, crystal), do you wipe away the residue left over?
I usually lightly wipe mine on my pants or shirt after conditioning. It seems if I don't, it gets on my strikers as a powdery residue. I'm presuming this is correct.

Also, I have a few old slate calls that the wooden striker tips are burned. I'm presuming this was to make them harder and less likely to slip. Anybody know why this practice was stopped?

Thanks.

New Yorker

I blow on my calls to get the dust off after conditioning. I personally don't like touching the striking surface with anything other than the tip of my striker. Burning the striker tip was in my opinion, a matter of personal preference. The jet call may have come with a burnt tip, which might have started this. I'm guessing that there are still some folks that burn the tips of their strikers. As times change and new materials come about, we find new ways to tune our calls. Sand paper was popular for a long time but now dry wall screen and scotch brite pads seem to be much more common. I personally am not a fan of burning the striker tip. In my opinion it is counter productive. I tried it years ago with black walnut and it gummed up the tip of the striker as if i had used it for a year without conditioning it.

jed clampett

I just blow the dust off my pots as well, never burned a striker tip..probably never will...when I get slate calls out I wave a big lighter under them to pull the moisture out (not every time) then scotchbrite...glass an crystal depends on the call drywall screen small stone 120 grit sandpaper. Plain aluminum and brass scotchbrite,anodized aluminum alcohol pad just to ,clean them once in awhile.
Copper depends on the cal usually scotchbrite but on one emerycloth. Strikers 220 grit sandpaper twist a little in my palm..after conditioning pots I don't touchem with anything

Double B

I sometimes wipe grit off on my shirt tail, but I agree, probably a better idea to never touch the surface except with striker or conditioning tools.  Old timers in my area burned striker tips to harden them, but they were starting with hickory or poplar, etc.  Now we use much harder woods such as dymondwood and a slew of exotics......that's my  :z-twocents:
Followed by buzzards

M,Yingling

glass and copper I like give quick wipe with shirt sleeve only if completely dry if damp give them quick blow ,,, and slate just blow as the wipe to me makes slate little slick ,,, I ve gotten few calls in trade will burnt tips like above was said think most is hickory 
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

tha bugman

Sometimes I do sometime I don't most of the times a small puff of air and its ready to go!