turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

my youth hunter Saturday killed.......

Started by tra_cline, April 03, 2011, 10:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tra_cline

The new "pending" number 2 scoring gobbler by a lady in NC,and will be in the top 30 all time.  He also just happened to be her first bird ever! Brooke did a great job. I took Brooke age 14,her dad and Casey my video partner to the back end of a big cotton field. The morning started with about 10 different birds gobbling on the roost. But as happens a lot on our youth day when they flew down they packed up with hens, gobbling at everything coming to nothing, About 8:00 I called and I heard a hen calling back so I called again, 2 hens walked out into the field messed around for a few minutes and went off. I could still hear birds gobbling off in ever direction through out the morning and honestly knew it was only a matter of time. At about 9:00 I ask Brooke if she wanted to go get breakfast and come back after we ate, she said NO Way I Want To Stay...which kinda sent me digging through my vest for candy. So I start diggin' and thought I heard a gobble, I was sitting behind everyone  so I yelp and cut then cut again. Just as I finish I see a head poking out of the tall field grass on the other side of the field, well out struts a longbeard, then another, then 3 more then some hens then another longbeard and a wad of jakes. all closing in on my Floozie hen and jake decoys. At about 50yrds the hens run up to the dekes and just start running around then run back to the toms. The first gobbler that came out has yet to break strut and starts walking away, he's at about 35yrds and I cut at them He stops and she hammered him. Brooke and her dad run out to him, and Casey and I head to them when I got to them I noticed his beard looked thick, and reached down to look at it then I realized he had 3 beards, I said kinda joking, half way thinking about the OG turkey contest I bet this bird would score high for ya, After I got back to our cabin I got curious and took the measurements and weighed the bird, he scored 80.9375 which after the NWTF paper work is finalized will put him #2 for a lady in NC and #29 in the US. As thrilled as she was with the bird to start with the added bonus of it being a really really good bird has this young lady HOOKED on turkeys now. Congrats again Brooke, glad I was there with Ya'll!

X-Tennessean

:z-winnersmiley: :z-winnersmiley: Awesome !! Congrats to the young lady and to you as well !
That is a good looking deke, what brand is it ? I am guessing a DSD ?

archery1

:icon_thumright:
CAN'T BEAT THAT
MEMORIES THAT WILL LAST A LIFETIME!!!!!!!
Take a kid hunting

lmbhngr

That`s awesome. Give her a pat on the back from me!! :wav: :happy0064:

RutnNStrutn

Fantastic!!! Congrats to the young lady!!! :you_rock: :happy0064: :icon_thumright:

njdevilsb

That's awesome.  Congrats to the young lady on an awesome bird.

Rio Fan

Wow, what an awesome bird.  Congrats to her!  :icon_thumright:

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

nctrkyhntr

alloutdoors

stinkpickle

flintlock

Wow, you can't beat that!  Way to go!   :you_rock:
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

Basser69