turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

"Mouth Call Mechanics" question.

Started by Marc, February 27, 2016, 09:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

So I saw the video that someone posted about purchasing a mouth call... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uPXoGEZeYg

Went and bought a 2D call with no cuts...

For those that have utilized this video what am I looking for...  The airflow is down the center of the call, but the call (and my tongue) tends to drift to the left side of my mouth...

Anyone know if there is a follow-up video demonstrating how the airflow looks for left, center, or right???
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

GobbleNut

I have not seen the video, but one thing all mouth call users should do is just what you did,...identify your individual air-flow tendencies,...and then tailor the calls you use to those mechanics. 

Specifically, where you blow the air over the reeds of the call has a lot to do with where the reed cuts on the mouth call should be,...that is, centered, or somewhere offset to one side or the other of the call.  That air flow also dictates, to a degree, which types of cuts will be best for you to use.

For instance, I have found that having the cuts offset to the far right side of the reeds is the best location for me personally.  Since I make my own calls, I have done a lot of experimenting with moving the reed cuts along the call and have found that even a very slight difference in cut location can make a big difference in the sounds I can produce out of a call with the same basic call construction.

If you (and others) have not done so already, I would get some calls that have the cut locations in varying spots along the call.  By doing so, you can begin to figure out what really works best for you.

Marc

GobbleNut, thank you for the reply...

The video might be worth your time...  I have always been interested in the basics of making turkey noises, but have recently become a bit more interested in the technical issues and a bit more of the science involved...  Especially if it helps me call better...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.