Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

2014(?) Weatherby SA-459 TK Choke tube recommendations

Started by Jkeiter, February 22, 2016, 01:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jkeiter

Just picked up this Weatherby last weekend at Bass Pro on sale. Couldn't pass up the gun for the price. I read on here in some of the other posts where people were getting great pattern results with the Sumtoy Choke and the Fed HW #7, but that particular post was for the 2015 model SA-459. The 2015 is full camo and mine is not so i know it's an older model (2014 or older). I shot the gun this weekend with some Federal turkey loads (3" #5) through the full choke that came with the TK model but it's definitely not 'turkey ready' out past 25 or so yards. I've got some boxes of HW #7 on the way, but wanting to know if anyone who has the older models of the SA-459 are getting the same results with the Sumtoy or if there is another choke I could be looking at. Bought this for my son and I to share this season, then next year I'll give it to him and get me another one so we both have one to hunt with. Appreciate the info. I've searched on this forum for a while now and all I could find on the SA-459 dealt with the 2015 model and not the model I have. Thanks guys/gals!

deadbuck

I have that identical gun, Bought it from a member on here at the end of turkey season last spring. It does good with the factory choke, but I put a $10 Tight Wad choke in it and it shot much tighter. The Carlsons .575 Extended tube seems to be the best deal off ebay for $28. The sumtoy .562 does great too, but is about $70. However, I am shooting TSS and it will make about any choke look good.

cutt down

I have the same gun & with a Sumtoy 562 it throws 180+/- @ 40yds & with a Rob Roberts 570 it throws 165+/-. The Sumtoy has a tighter core. Shooting Fed HW7's. Hevi 7's or Nitro hevi 7's are close. I shoot the Sumtoy mostly!

gophert

I think in general you can't go wrong with the a Sumtoy 562, Carlsons 575. 

I'd probably go with the Sumtoy in the 2014 model since that's where I've seen the best pattern.  To me, if you're gonna shoot factory loads, $70 for the right choke is a small price to pay for a smokin 20 ga turkey slayer.

Sent from my typewriter

Jkeiter

Thanks everyone! Before spending any money on another choke tube I'm going to shoot the Fed HW #7's through the factory choke just to see what I get. I've heard from some whom I've PM'd that the Carlson is a better hunting choke while the Sumtoy is a better 'wow' factor on paper. Either way...I love shooting this gun and hope it serves me well this spring on a giant WV, VA, MD or OH tom! I'll post updates when I have them. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

FL-Boss

Yep.. stick with Carlson for hunting  - it should put you about 150 or so with the Federal #7. Perfect for hunting IMO

deadbuck

jkeiter, are you going to shoot the factory sights or put a red dot on it?

Jkeiter

This year (since I just bought the gun) I'm gonna shoot the factory sights, but definitely want to do something later with the sight. Shooting it this past weekend was a blast and I didn't have any issues with the current sights. My son was also able to quickly find his target and squeeze off some rounds. He's 11.  I love this little gun!

FL-Boss

I actually really liked those big nasty M16 sights on that gun.

deadbuck

I put an Aimpoint 9000SC on mine and really like it. However, the tall factory front sight is visible in the bottom of the sight picture below the red dot. Am going to try it this year as is, but will probably have it milled off to remove it from the sight picture completely.

gophert

Quote from: deadbuck on February 23, 2016, 10:52:18 AM
I put an Aimpoint 9000SC on mine and really like it. However, the tall factory front sight is visible in the bottom of the sight picture below the red dot. Am going to try it this year as is, but will probably have it milled off to remove it from the sight picture completely.

I had read somewhere that you could take that huge front sight off.  Is that not the case?

FL-Boss

Yes, it's removable. I liked the fact that it protected the front tube. 

g8rvet

Mine is the '14.  I love how easy it points and how light it is. Sweet set up. 

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,51714.msg513561.html#msg513561

This one has a pic of the shot at 15 yards (which I wanted to try before hunting with it).  15 yard shots are pretty common in some of the places I hunt. 

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,52656.msg522557.html#msg522557
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Jkeiter

Thanks g8rvet! Those are great pattern examples. I just picked up 4 boxes of the Fed HW #7 at Gander Mountain for $22.99. Store is 5 min from work and the other places I found online still have to charge shipping so this was a decent price in my mind. Appreciate everyone's comments and advice.