OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choke change?

Started by g8rvet, March 14, 2015, 04:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

Does anyone keep a spare choke in their vest to use if they are hunting a very thick area?  I got a little better spread out of the stock choke and Magnum Blend with my Weatherby SA-459.  Got 138 in the 10" at 30.  Only 95 with the stock choke and Fed HW #7.  It is tuned in fine for normal hunting, but I occasionally find my self being forced to sit down where a 20 yard shot is the max - not often, but sometimes.  Does anyone swap out loads and or chokes in that situation?  Never really considered it before, but with these better and tighter patterns, just wondered if anyone does that.  I did shoot my load at 15 yards and it is not crazy tight, I have 2-3" on either side.  Just wondered. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

FL-Boss

your reading into this choke/ ammo stuff a little too much.... regardless of the choke or shot.. it will shoot like a bullet at 15 yards.  Just aim and shoot...

Something seems off with your numbers.. I hunt with the same gun..  I can get close to 200 with Federal HW #7.   Even with the stock choke I see over 130.   My hunting choke of choice ( Carlson)  gets me about 155..

g8rvet

I am getting high 160s in a dirty barrel with a Trulock at 40 yards.  Very even pattern.  right at 200 at 30 yards. 

Only the stock choke did not look that good, but I only shot it once and then set it aside for the Trulock. 

this is 15 yards. 

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Izzyjoe

I don't carry an extra choke, there would be to much confusion for me to remember how it patterned. I like to keep it simple, just learn to use what you have, and don't carry any unesesary items!

owlhoot

have other chokes in truck, have some different shells in vest to use at a closer range setup.
As long as you can keep track of it, why not?

g8rvet

I don't think I really need to, I was just curious if anyone did it.

Before I took Fl-Boss's excellent suggestion and picked up the Weatherby, I was really thinking side by side 20.  That would be the best of both worlds.  Not a lot of double trigger options out there in a reasonable price range for what I was willing to spend.  Then I picked up the Weatherby and liked the way it felt.

Gooserbat

Up close I aim low and watch em roll.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Snoodsniper

For wing shooting I will switch it up occasionally. Never thought about it for turkey hunting.

cutt down

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 14, 2015, 10:02:27 PM
Up close I aim low and watch em roll.

Bingo! Drop down just a bit & drop it like it's hot.

FL-Boss

that Trulock at 160ish is the perfect set up for hunting.... leave your gun that way it is.  MY Carlson is the exact same choke ... and also stays in at 150-170 range I like for actual real world hunting.

zelmo1

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an Keep It Simple Stupid  method works for me. I would figure out a way to muck it up. Thats just me. I find the best choke/load combo for my gun and stick to it.

Dr Juice

I never changed my choke in the field without putting one down range on a target  :turkey2:

Triple Gobble

Just find the one you like and stick with it
Live your life through Jesus, and life begins!!!!

mudhen

No...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

born2hunt

It seems to me that if you had a load and choke combo that shot so tight you were concerned about those close 20 yard setups that you might just find a looser shooting lead load and keep a couple on you just for those situations. It would be a lot easier than changing tubes on the run.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."