turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Old Timers Talk

Started by Remington924, March 29, 2011, 06:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remington924

lovett i have heard old timers say that if a tom gobbles back at your calls but wont break from hens come back mid morning or afternoon after his hens have left him and gone to nest. my question is this if hens leave the gobbler mid day and do nest then why would they yelp and call to a gobbler and go meet him in the morning? wouldnt they need to sit on the nest?
ive seen a hen that had a bum leg hobbling in a field with a gobbler strutting behind then she left him mid morning and he was solo but in NH we cant hunt afternoons then the same morning the same hen was back with the tom, why would the hen which was hobbling and was bred come back and let him strut his stuff for her again, does it take time for the eggs to be made inside her body?
the only thing i can think of is it takes a little while after she is bred to make the eggs and finally lay the first one so its a survival skill that more turkeys equal safety and she doesnt want to be alone if she doesnt have to be...but would she need to find/create a nest/nesting spot?

Lovett

Remington924,

Hen that are laying don't come to gobblers.

I don't understand second question.