Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Has the internet check in helped or hurt Tn turkey hunting?

Started by S.C.C, May 04, 2017, 11:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poleaxe

Quote from: J-Shaped on May 04, 2017, 12:51:10 PM
Quote from: S.C.C on May 04, 2017, 12:45:32 PM
And imo would be nice to see more of mr green jeans again sence the tss and HTl is the big thing now!!

Can you elaborate on why more GW involvement is necessary due to HTL shot and TSS?

Jelousy amoung hunters go hand to hand with every animal. The people that don't have means to HTL or TSS or afford it don't like others to have the upper hand on them with that longer distance. That's the only explanation why someone would complain about it. IMO they're alot more other things to worry about than what ammo someone's shooting.  Birds plentyful here and online check-in is great for us. Don't fix nothing that ain't broken.

Ihuntoldschool

On the other hand, you have the turkey hunters who CALL birds into range and don't need TSS or HTL or longer distance or an upper hand whatever that means. You know, the ones who hunt turkeys and don't try to make the sport into some kind of long range sniping fest.  These are the guys that realize there are more important things to worry about than counting holes in circles. They know how to CALL turkeys into shotgun range.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on May 04, 2017, 09:16:11 PM
On the other hand, you have the turkey hunters who CALL birds into range and don't need TSS or HTL or longer distance or an upper hand whatever that means. You know, the ones who hunt turkeys and don't try to make the sport into some kind of long range sniping fest.  These are the guys that realize there are more important things to worry about than counting holes in circles. They know how to CALL turkeys into shotgun range.
amen...

Tom Foolery

Telecheck has zero to do with more birds being killed.  Poachers are gonna poach no matter what.  The same dudes that don't use the telecheck didn't drive to a check station. 

Hevi and TSS have nothing to do with it either.  All the guys I know that use Hevishot like to call them close and kill them, they just like using the best stuff they can get.  I've never killed a bird that lead wouldn't kill but I've only used Hevishot since the Rem hevishot days for the simple fact it out patterned and out punched lead. 

I do wish they would cut the limit back to 2 birds in TN. 

Trax

I dont think online check-in has hurt anything.
I also dont think the 4 bird limit is too much.
There are a lot of birds around. And most people really only hunt the first couple weeks of the season before burning out.
Relatively few guys are tagging out.

dublelung

Outlaws will be outlaws period!
Telecheck makes it easy for the legal hunters to report their game, the only flip side I see is that it also makes it easier for internet scouters (me) to focus on a state and then focus on particular counties/wma's with the highest densities of reported kills. That alone will lead to more hunters on the most productive ground which will overall lead to more turkeys being killed there.
I say all that coming from a state that's behind the times in reporting kills and a tagging system. Mississippi is 100% on the honor system and it leaves the conservation officers with nothing to go on when they see a dead turkey in the back of someone's truck. It could be their first or fifth turkey of the season and nobody would know.

catman529

I doubt it has affected the hunter success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trkehunr93

Your on the honor system either way.  I for one like that VA now has an app and I can sit in my SUV and have mine checked in instantly.  I would have to drive way out of my way now to go to a check station, there getting to be few and far between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poleaxe

:thanks:
Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on May 04, 2017, 09:16:11 PM

Can you give me one reason why it would matter to you if John Smith shot HTL or TSS at birds you have no chance of shooting? When or if you deer hunt do you go out and buy a bullet that performs poorly out of your gun? No we all try and find the best performance to make certain of a swift kill.

rifleman

I like it for deer and turkeys.  When i am in an area where I must pass back through WV, I can call the bird in and be legal within my home state.  Once this year i did call and the system kept saying that my phone was a "rotary style."  I had to be very careful until I could get back to a phone that the system would recognize.  What do you think a WV Conservation Officer would have said if he had stopped me?

appalachianassassin

internet check is awesome. its a pain in the butt to drive 20 miles out of the way to check in game. you can trust dishonest people to be dishonest either way. as for the tss, I shot a couple this year with tss and both were within 15 yds. also missed 2 with it and they were also within 15 yds. again, back to the honor system. its easy to abuse anything if your that kind of person.

Ihuntoldschool

Poleaxe I don't care what type shot you shoot. I merely stated that if you know how to CALL turkeys into range as many hunters do, you don't have a need for TSS or HTL.  The sport was intended to be about calling the turkeys into good shotgun range, not about a long range sniping fest. This is my opinion and may differ from yours. However, make no mistake about this, many, many turkey hunters myself included see no need for TSS or HTL because we can CALL, (theres that word again must be important) turkeys into range.  So, if you think people killing birds with lead shot are somehow jealous of others who use TSS/HTL then you are sadly mistaken.  Most hunters that kill birds with lead do so because it works and has for many many years worked so effectively when you CALL (theres that word again) your birds into shotgun range.

As far as your deer hunting comment again you are way off base with an apples to oranges comparison.  Would I use a bullet for deer hunting that performs poorly?  No, I don't use bullets for deer, I shoot a patched round ball, works perfectly.  But, no if I did use a modern rifle, I would not choose a bullet that performs poorly.  That is why I use lead shot for turkeys, it works so perfectly.

ilbucksndux

Phone check in vs check station has no impact on the game killed. If your not gonna check it in, your not gonna check it in. I would venture to say that MORE game is checked in now vs the check station. You dont have to drive 20-30 miles out of your way.
Gary Bartlow

J-Shaped

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on May 06, 2017, 01:05:06 PM
Poleaxe I don't care what type shot you shoot. I merely stated that if you know how to CALL turkeys into range as many hunters do, you don't have a need for TSS or HTL.  The sport was intended to be about calling the turkeys into good shotgun range, not about a long range sniping fest. This is my opinion and may differ from yours. However, make no mistake about this, many, many turkey hunters myself included see no need for TSS or HTL because we can CALL, (theres that word again must be important) turkeys into range.  So, if you think people killing birds with lead shot are somehow jealous of others who use TSS/HTL then you are sadly mistaken.  Most hunters that kill birds with lead do so because it works and has for many many years worked so effectively when you CALL (theres that word again) your birds into shotgun range.

As far as your deer hunting comment again you are way off base with an apples to oranges comparison.  Would I use a bullet for deer hunting that performs poorly?  No, I don't use bullets for deer, I shoot a patched round ball, works perfectly.  But, no if I did use a modern rifle, I would not choose a bullet that performs poorly.  That is why I use lead shot for turkeys, it works so perfectly.

Well want vs need can be discussed until the cows come home - on subjects including and not limited to, turkey hunting. My truck would probably run fine on conventional motor oil, but I like to run synthetic.

I've been at this sport nearly 30 years, consider myself an adept caller and I use TSS, and I shot hevi-shot for many, many years prior. If that makes me a "turkey sniper" in your eyes, then I can't help you. I killed 6 birds this spring with TSS in a 20ga, and all but two of them were inside 30 yards.

While I don't disagree that people are always going to look for a short cut, that's not me, nor any of the guys I hunt with that shoot HTL or TSS shot, so I think you're painting folks with a pretty broad brush.

And back to the thread title, HTL/TSS hasn't a thing to do with Internet check-in or game warden presence  ;D I'm still awaiting that correlation..........carry on

Ihuntoldschool

Nope, I'm not painting you or anyone else with any kind of brush.   You WANT to use TSS/HTL.  It is NOT needed to kill turkeys.  Lead shot works perfectly for killing turkeys in shotgun range.  My point was that many hunters myself included use lead because it works and anything else is NOT needed.  And that turkey hunters that use lead CHOOSE to use it, not that they are somehow jealous of others using TSS/HTL as one poster seems to suggest.   And I have no idea what this has to do with the need for more game wardens.  I also agree internet checking has very little if any impact on the quality of turkey hunting.