Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

2 day off! Need some help!** updated kill pics****

Started by Bustabeak, March 27, 2011, 11:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bustabeak

I took tomorrow  and tuesday off for the opening of the season here in ga and I have a buddy that is hunting with me In the morning. His friend has about 50 acres  and the majority of the land is a pasture. It is surrounded on all sides with woods except for the front by the road. The farmer that owns it says he saw three birds this afternoon in the bottom corner of the pasture. My question is, what would you guys do? Just set up close to where the birds were last seen before daylight? Try to use a locater early to see if they are still there? I don't know if there were hens with the three longbeards but I'm kinda lost on what to do. We also have a pretty good chance of rain as well.  **** update***

Well it's taken a couple weeks to get back to this property but we did go once before and heard birds gobbling. We sat up an the wrong side of the field that day. But we wnt back after them there this morning and had a better idea of the land. The middle of the pasture has a pine tract about 100 by 50 yards wide right in the middle. We got in there early and just listened  one finally gobbled and we actually set up 10 yards from where we were listening. I made some calls just to let him know we were there.  The bird flew down about 150 yards from us and started gobbling and strutting looking for the hen. I called a bit more and a hen flew Dow behind him. I'm not sure what made him come away from the hen ( possibly my sweet talk in haha) but he came running. We couldn't have set up more perfectly and got my pastor and good friend his first longbeard! We argued on the way to the property because I said turkey hunting to me is more exciting than deer hunting. He said "there is no way" after he saw all the action of him strutting and gobbling and after the shot he looked at me and said " ok.... Maybe on certain occasions it can be more exciting!!!" hahaha!!  it was a fun quick hunt but another one to remember! 10-1/2 " beard 1" spurs and he weighed 19LBS.

bassmaster1228

i would be right there where he said he seen the birds before daylight

cahaba

Quote from: bassmaster1228 on March 27, 2011, 11:22:32 PM
:agreed:

I would get on the higest elevation if it wasnt flat land and be all ears. They might not answer to anything at daylight and still be there. Birds like bottom corners so if nothing unfolded at dawn I would get to that bottom, get comfortable and have some patience. Good luck.

Struttin Spurs

Quote from: bassmaster1228 on March 27, 2011, 11:22:32 PM
:icon_thumright:

bornagain64

Get a good pair of binoculars and glass the pasture.
If you are getting rain, the birds will move out to the clearings; the pasture could be a good spot to be.
Once you locate them you will have to try and get between them and where they are going.
If you could find where they are roosting, that would tell you which side to set up on.
                                   Good luck, Go Turkey Whackers!
                                                        John

Bustabeak

870BkWht

Congrats on you and your friends success.  Hope more is to come for you.

cannonball