OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Advice needed

Started by Txag12, April 19, 2015, 11:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txag12

Hey guys, needing some advice on figuring these birds out. Two things...

One I can't seem to have any luck killing a bird off the roost. I will roost a bird, set up 100 yards from the tree in the direction he came from going to roost the evening before and I end up being ignored. Example today I set up on the edge of a hay meadow 75-100 yds from the roost (snuck in while still complete darkness), he gobbled on the roost and I gave two soft yelps spaced apart, then at fly down nothing and not another word from him. 

Second, i can't figure out their patterns on this new property. It's large acreage, mainly post oak type vegetation with some tall grass openings and hay meadows spread throughout with two old roads that for a intersection towards the creek bottom. The terrain is gently rolling, really just climbs in elevation from the creek bottom up. They seem to roost down towards the creek, then from there I'm lost at what they do. I've found a lot of tracks and occasionally hear a bird gobble at the higher end opposite of the creek, so I'm thinking they work up the elevation as the day goes then return to the creek bottom in the evening. I just can't seem to find where they feed, strut zones, dusting areas, etc. I feel lost as to what their patterns are. Any tips? The hay meadows don't seem to get too much activity aside from the occasional bird, then again maybe I'm not there when they are. I just can't figure out what it is they do, sometimes I'll see a hen alone on the old road bed, then I'll hear them elsewhere in a completely different type of "habitat"..I.e. I can't find any correlation as to how I should hunt them or where to set up. What would y'all do in my situation so I can figure these new birds out and have them patterned. Right now i have a difficult time because it seems any set up I do I feel unconfident about. Part of me thinks that once they fly down they just roam around aimlessly, but the turkey hunter in me says no way. What gives?

Let me know if more info would help, thanks guys

Txag12

If it helps these are rios on the tx ok border

Mike Honcho

He may be going silent once on the ground due to coyotes.  I had one gobbling his head off in the tree this weekend
and had him coming to me ,never gobbled on the ground. A coyote  rushed him when he was about 100 yards from me and he flew across a deep creek and was gone. 2nd  time in a week a coyote has come in on my calling, different  properties.

You might try and set up between the roost and where the higher elevation  ground is....if nothing else you may get some good scouting info.

Txag12

I thought of that as a possibility, but I'm really thinking the hens he's been hanging and roosting with have him locked down. Need them to start nesting! Any time I bump into this bird he has hens, not sure what to think!