turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

a lot of signs no response

Started by FLORIDA BOI, March 25, 2015, 04:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLORIDA BOI

First off I have learned so much just lurking on the site this is my first year turkey hunting . I'm hunting public I found a place I thought would have birds first day sure enough I find prints and actually  spooked 1 walking in. Next morning I take a more seasoned guy with me we set up early before light and we don't hear a thing . We move spots to one of his spots once again on the way there we see a bird on the middle of the road we tried to set up on him but no response.  We moved around saw a lot of signs and tracks no gobbling.  We head back to the truck and there a turkey right by the damn truck as we are about 100 yards away  ::). So what's my next move when I find tracks how do I know if it's worth hunting .

Spitten and drummen

got to be persistent and patient. just because you do not hear them does not mean they are not there. its just turkeys being turkeys.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Bowguy

Spitten n drummin is correct. Be patient n one day they'll go nuts. Next year though before the season drive the area listening for birds. This way you instantly have alternate spots. Always one hot bird somewhere

FLORIDA BOI

Thanks guys will do . I saw the bird that I spooked flew off into the bottom of a creek I found away to get into that side tommorrow I'm gonna check it out . Thanks for the help .

NJstrutter

If theres sign and tracks they're there. I've only been hunting 8 yrs, but one thing I've learned (especially on public land) is that they may be gobbling like crazy on Monday and then Tuesday you don't hear a sound. Then on Wednesday there back at it, gobbling all around you.

dejake

There are birds there.  Find a good spot near where you saw birds and stay put.  If you call, they will come.

10gaugemag

Quote from: dejake on March 27, 2015, 07:41:38 AM
There are birds there.  Find a good spot near where you saw birds and stay put.  If you call, they will come.
Call soft and sparingly if there is pressure. Be patient and sit still too, Ol Long Tom will probably sneak in when he comes.

FLORIDA BOI

Thanks guys y'all gave me the motivation to stay after these birds .... I went to a buddy's spot with him the past few days and pretty much put the puzzle together on some he has roosted . There's A lot of pressure on his so after they fly down they pretty much shut off but we found where they meet up and all are headed to so  . I think he will get 1 in the morn if the plan comes together.

Where I'm goin there's a lot of walking I haven't seen any one there since deer season ..I work overnights so i can't get there before light except twice a week so Sunday I'm gonna try my best to scout it out that eve and try to roost them wish me luck . Either way I gonna hunt it hard this week . The first day I went out there I saw a bird so I know for a fact they come to the area . It's a sandy road under power lines