Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Limb Hanger down in West Virginia

Started by West Augusta, May 15, 2014, 02:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Augusta

I went to the Witches Grave this morning due to the storms coming through and didn't want to be far from the truck in case it got bad.  Turns out it was a good move.  I set up in a very small meadow incase of the storms.  Shortly after daylight he gobbled.  I gave him a few quiet yelps on the Locust and Ipe Jordan yelper I made.  Five minutes later another lazy gobble.  Five more minutes another lazy gobble only this one was closer.  I turned up the hill and looked through the bush that I was hiding under.  I could clearly see his fan but not his head.  No way I could shoot through the bush.  Then, putt, putt, putt.
I thought some how he had busted me.  Nope.  He was putting at my jake decoy.  Next thing I know, he was going through the meadow in half strut.  Half strut until he got to my Jake and then it was full strut.  I only let him make one circle of the decoy.  I'm not sure how I ever missed the decoy.

18 pounds flat.
10 1/8" beard
1 3/8" and 1 7/16" spurs.
My best bird ever.

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

paboxcall

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

chatterbox

Fantastic bird Steve!!!!
That is flat out awesome! :icon_thumright:

Charley B

Wow, yahouuuu!  That's a great hunt and a old bird!!!!  Verry happy to read that story, congrat's!  :z-winnersmiley:

WV TURKEY THUG

SheGotHoOks

Congrats Steve.. that's awesome, thanks for sharing the hunt with us... Awesome bird! Congrats Congrats Congrats!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SheGotHoOks

Onpoint says congrats too.. His phone don't let him reply to threads 90 percent of the time! So congrats from him tOo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hotrod3h

Steve... Congrats very nice bird and good story. Man those are some white legs!    :TooFunny:

spurman

Great bird with some great hooks. Congratulations.  :icon_thumright:
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

hunter22

Nice gobbler Steve. That should help your team score.

Triple B

That is a good one for sure Steve. That old boy has got some hooks.

West Augusta

The pictures weren't the best so I went with the measurements shown.

My 2014 Gobbler

18 pounds even

The beard actually measured 10 1/8" but only shows 10 1/16" so I'll go with that.

This spur was 1 3/8" but shows 1 5/16" so I'll go with that

This spur is 1 7/16"

My contest sheet

18 pounds
Beard 10 1/16"
Right Spur 1 5/16"
Left Spur 1 7/16"
My score: 65.625
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.