OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Advice on locating gobblers morning of hunt in new location.

Started by WNCTracker, April 25, 2014, 03:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

I'm going to go hunting in the morning in an area that I have never hunted before. I went walking through this region last weekend and saw over a dozen different gobblers!!its very open with grassy ridges, about 300 acres. Since I don't know the area I have no idea where they roost and I don't know where they will be in the early morning hours. Can anyone recommend a good plan of attack? I've never really used locater calls but I have heard that a crow call can be used to get one to gobble early?  How early do they gobble? Would it be a good idea to get out there early around 430 and walk around using a crow call trying to get one to gobble? I've never used this approach but is like to come home with a bird tomorrow. Any advice is good advice. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigspurs68

If it's a nice morning, you won't need to do anything. Just get in a good listening spot and let it happen. If you want to try and make them gobble, a owl hoot gets it done. Birds will sometimes gobble very early, sometimes not. Just hang out and let them do their thing. When they do, set up on the bird that is the most vocal.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

WNCTracker

Thanks for your reply!  It's a very exposed area and difficult to move unseen which is why I was thinking I could get an edge up by setting up and holding tight.

Bigspurs68

Yea, I understand what you're saying. The lay of the land will dictate your moves. Try to start in a place that may give you a advantage if you need to move. Everyone has their own ways. I do whatever it takes but waiting them out is the hardest for me. If he's a old bird that I NEED to wait on,I will but I'd rather run n gun all day. As long as you are enjoying yourself, do what seems best. If there are half the birds on that land that you saw earlier, you should have a good day. Just try not to spook birds and stay after em.

WNCTracker

Do u set up decoys when u run and gun?

Bigspurs68

Hardly ever. Decs only come out on special old birds or if I'm in a blind with my kids. If I take a decoy after a old bird, it's always a strutter. With the kids, it's a quarter strut jake over a hen. Field birds might make me use them more but I don't like the hassle. I may reposition on a bird several times, decoys cramp my style kinda.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Bigspurs68

Just in case you wonder how a person could run n gun with a full strut decoy, I have some inflatable strutters that look good and fit in my vest. Occasionally one of them will "take one for the team" that's why I have spares at home. Lol

WNCTracker

I got out there early at 5 AM on those Gamelands. I set up with my decoys and at daybreak  hunter came walking right up on me coming in on the gobblers I was listening to so I shoo him off and he went the other direction. So then I decided to walk and crawl a couple hundred yards and sneak up on these gobblers I heard I saw five of them Struttin about 100 yards away and I couldn't get them to come in and while I was working on them for 20 minutes another gobbler came sneaking in on me from the side of the Fencerow got 40 yards for me stopped and started Struttin behind a fence post and goblled. I yelped and he came Struttin right in I didn't even have any decoys set up about 20 yards away looked right at me and I dropped him.
23 lb 10 oz, 10 3/4 beard, 1 1/4 spurs

WNCTracker

Run and gun!!  Thanks for advice

Bigspurs68

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

WNCTracker

If you read the earlier comments I left the decoys behind this time to...it's sort of poetic justice. My decoy days are going to fewer from now on.

Marc

Quote from: johnplesh on April 25, 2014, 05:17:17 PM
Do u set up decoys when u run and gun?

Bigspurs68 answered my thoughts...  No...

A decoy while running and gunning will only hurt you.  It will make noise shuffling around in the bag, or you will make noise trying to set up too quick, or you will be busy setting up the decoy as the bird comes in...

Some morning I go out with the intentions of running and gunning...  I get out of the car, put all my gear on (including my face mask), and load my gun...  Then wait by the car or a hide close by, for birds to gobble, and/or hens to yelp...  I do not call until I decide to set up on a bird.

And, I am always amazed at guys running and gunning...  PICK up your feet as you are walking...  Feet shuffling is a good clue that you are human.  I pick up my feet and walk at a brisk pace using the terrain to hide me as well as possible.

And when walking towards a bird I am trying to gain ground on, I putt and cluck softly as I am walking, and when I commit, I walk quickly.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

deadbuck

Don't blow the crow call while it is still black dark. Let the songbirds start singing first. I had 2 college kids running a crow and box call intermittently a week ago in pitch black dark. Funny