Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

A few general questions from a new member

Started by tooth, March 16, 2011, 05:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooth

Sorry if this goes long, but I have a few general questions.

1.  How early do you guys typically set up?
       I ask because the spot I'm looking at is a good 45 min-1hr hike from the parking lot.  I feel like 45 minutes before sunrise was not early enough last year.
2.  Do you tend to favor woods or fields to set up at?
       I know you set up where you can get good sight lines and where you've scouted birds, but I ask mainly because I'll be hunting a public area.  Being my first time hunting this spot, I don't know how many others will be out there, but I think it's a safe assumption most guys are going to look for the easy set ups- ie. the 5-6 fields adjacent to woods and a short walk from a parking area.  My area I'm favoring is an open woodland with steep ravines and high ridges and a far way from parking spots. But there are no good open fields to set up at the edges.

That's all for now, looking forward to the responses!

gunnerj

I want to be sitting or set up an hour before sunrise or 1/2 hour before shoot in Iowa. It needs to be good and dark yet. Question #2. Where ever the birds want to go, either/or woods/fields. To be successful, be able to hunt them both. A lot of times the birds don't care, they use what's there.  :anim_25:

1iagobblergetter

I would rather be way early than a little late. I would set up where you are planning and call them in. Good luck!!!!!!

guesswho

I don't worry to much about how early unless I have one roosted.  As long as I'm out of the vehichle around gobbling time I'm happy.  Although sometiomes I don't even get to the woulds until an hour or so after daylight. 

As far as fields vs. woods it makes me no difference.  As long as it looks like a spot that he would come to.

Hunting public land I'd try it mid morning a time or two.  Give the other folks time to give up, then try and find a bird.  Most of the birds I kill on public land is after mid morning when most people are back to their vehichles.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

ElkTurkMan

Definately don't overlook your afternoon hunts if your state permits it.  Some of the best hunting can be had later in the morning and into the afternoon.  You may not hear the same amount of gobbling in the PM, but the hunting can be great.  Good Luck to you! :anim_25: 

mossy835

tooth

Thanks for all the quick replies!

I definitely understand the mid-morning being a good time to check out the fields.  The last thing I want to do is set up in the dark and find out once it's light out that there's someone else trying to call birds into the same field.  In Illinois quitting time is 1:00.

Looks like I'm going to get way out in the woods for sunrise and then work my way into the fields if nothing early.
:z-paddy-smiley113: