OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

after a busted setup or missed shot, how far to move?

Started by 200racing, March 15, 2011, 10:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

200racing

if you get busted, shoot at a bird or bump them off a roost. how far do you need to go to set up again.few hundred yards,.25 to .5 of mile or another peice of property?
weatherby pa-08.undertaker choke.tru-glo tru bead.
win. hv #5 3in
rem. premeir mag. #6 3in

turkeys aren't hard to kill....they're hard to kill legally.

Skeeterbait

Now a shot at bird I am going to follow directly and look for in case I had hit it.   A bumped or spooked bird it will likely depend on the terrain you are in.  I mostly hunt timberland that is flat like river bottoms or rolling hills.  In this terrain I will quickly travel about 100 yards perpendicular to the direction the bird was traveling when it left and then around 200 yards parallel to the direction he was traveling.  This is nearly always enough to put you back in front of him even if he left running.  They don't go all that far and will settle back down in 30 minutes.

jshively

Quote from: Skeeterbait on March 15, 2011, 11:08:32 PM
Now a shot at bird I am going to follow directly and look for in case I had hit it.   A bumped or spooked bird it will likely depend on the terrain you are in.  I mostly hunt timberland that is flat like river bottoms or rolling hills.  In this terrain I will quickly travel about 100 yards perpendicular to the direction the bird was traveling when it left and then around 200 yards parallel to the direction he was traveling.  This is nearly always enough to put you back in front of him even if he left running.  They don't go all that far and will settle back down in 30 minutes.
I am going to try this tactic this year.  Lord knows I have been known to bump a bird or two - so at least this keeps me in the game.

gunnerj

It depends on the terrain. I do that here, and you are generally done in that spot. My wooded areas are generally less than 40 acres. When the turkeys bust, they bust to the open, and don't come back to the woods till fly up. I just move to a different spot.  :newmascot:

guesswho

I think time is more important than distance.  Plus there are different degrees of being busted which come into play.  Worse case for me and I'll usually let the bird be until the next day.   If they just seen something they didn't like and run off I'll usually just sit tight.  Sometimes they will let you know where their at in an hour or so and you can go from there, if not I'll move a hundred yards or so and try him again. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

1iagobblergetter

I think it depends on terrain,how long you want to set in a spot for it to calm down, and how many birds you have. I've bumped birds and have stuck around the same spot and have filled my tag,but I think it would be faster to move.

redleg06

Quote from: guesswho on March 16, 2011, 06:33:13 PM
I think time is more important than distance.  Plus there are different degrees of being busted which come into play.  Worse case for me and I'll usually let the bird be until the next day.   If they just seen something they didn't like and run off I'll usually just sit tight.  Sometimes they will let you know where their at in an hour or so and you can go from there, if not I'll move a hundred yards or so and try him again. 

I agree with a lot of what has been said already but specifically the part about taking into account how "bumped" the turkey was.  When a turkey see's something it doesnt like, it's first reaction is to run away and ask questions later so unless a turkey has definitely identified you as immediate danger (if you shot at him and missed for example), they usually tend to settle back down pretty quick.   

SouthEastNC

Agree with what everyone else has said.

Been fall hunting in VA a couple times for something different. They use dogs to run into the flocks (in thick timber areas) and bust/scatter the birds, and then we'd wait about 20 minutes to try to call them back together towards us.

I think the amount of cover/woods and acreage you have to work with is the biggest thing.
Go Heels, Go America