turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Introductions

Started by spurman, February 03, 2014, 08:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Augusta

Steve here and a charter member of the Widow Makers from north central West Virginia.
Electrical Engineer in an aluminum factory and a striker maker.  Hope to make it to South Dakota this year for a Merriam if the winter didn't take em all first.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

kevin2

Alright, we are off!

Just my 2nd season Turkey hunting, so I'm all ampted up and ready to go. Now the long wait till April 21st!

Did get my 2 new DSDs in the mail yesterday, so that was fun.

Got a new bow today. So, that will keep me busy getting that tuned up and ready for the opener.

I did discover that my gun club had a new pattern board put up on sight. Wasn't there when I first joined 10 years ago or so. There now & used it the other day to get my Burris FF III all sighted in on my new 12g.

Glad to part of the team & enjoying the posts...

Kevin
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

spurman

Kevin, new toys are always a lot of fun.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

spurman

Quote from: chatterbox on February 06, 2014, 06:38:30 PM
Quote from: hotrod3h on February 06, 2014, 07:33:26 AM
This spring might be different. This winter has been a bear, and I don't know how badly it has affected our critters.

Mike, I was thinking the same thing. Ice then snow then ice again and they are predicting more snow today.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

chatterbox

Quote from: spurman on February 07, 2014, 09:10:27 AM
Quote from: chatterbox on February 06, 2014, 06:38:30 PM
Quote from: hotrod3h on February 06, 2014, 07:33:26 AM
This spring might be different. This winter has been a bear, and I don't know how badly it has affected our critters.

Mike, I was thinking the same thing. Ice then snow then ice again and they are predicting more snow today.
Bill,

I have to admit, I am nervous about this upcoming season. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.

kevin2

Got it all sighted in and tuned today. Shooting like a charm! Smoothest bow I've ever owned OR demoed. Now, just need a turkey to come visit!

Quote from: spurman on February 07, 2014, 09:06:54 AM
Kevin, new toys are always a lot of fun.

hotrod3h

Quote from: West Augusta on February 06, 2014, 08:06:17 PM
Steve here and a charter member of the Widow Makers from north central West Virginia.
Electrical Engineer in an aluminum factory and a striker maker.  Hope to make it to South Dakota this year for a Merriam if the winter didn't take em all first.

Steve... What part of WV ? Mountainous ?

West Augusta

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

hotrod3h

Quote from: West Augusta on February 08, 2014, 07:45:24 AM
Marion county.

Right in the heart of Mountaineer country! I'm from Brooke county. Hopefully our WV birds are coping with the ice we've had the past week on the ground. Wasn't really concerned about the snow but having this ice on top of the snow for a whole week is concerning.

Charley B

I went in SD last spring, one tom in the Prairie unit and one tom in the Black hills, if you need advise just let me know, I would be happy to help you ;)

sadkins

Got me a elite energy 35 last month love archery

Elite Energy 35
Matthews Z7 Extreme
PSE X Force 7

West Augusta

Quote from: Charley B on February 08, 2014, 03:45:42 PM

I went in SD last spring, one tom in the Prairie unit and one tom in the Black hills, if you need advise just let me know, I would be happy to help you ;)
Thanks Charlie.  I may contact you after we check to see if the birds made it through the winter.

West Augusta

Quote from: hotrod3h on February 08, 2014, 03:10:50 PM
Quote from: West Augusta on February 08, 2014, 07:45:24 AM
Marion county.

Right in the heart of Mountaineer country! I'm from Brooke county. Hopefully our WV birds are coping with the ice we've had the past week on the ground. Wasn't really concerned about the snow but having this ice on top of the snow for a whole week is concerning.
It isn't looking good.  Plus there wasn't any mast last fall so there isn't much for them to eat anyway.

Charley B

Quote from: West Augusta on February 08, 2014, 05:07:25 PM
Quote from: Charley B on February 08, 2014, 03:45:42 PM

Thanks Charlie.  I may contact you after we check to see if the birds made it through the winter.
Talking about winter, we have a wicked one at home, I saw 6 hens this afternoon.  With only pure forest with few clearings in this area, it's a good thing that people around feed songbird, so turkey find some food dropped around on the snow to sustain harsh winter.  I hope for a good survival rate in SD, where winter is somethimes verry bad also. 

kevin2

I didn't have an opportunity to shoot an Elite bow, they sound smooth.

I just got done stripping all my stuff off my PSE & retired it to the rafters of the basement! Bye bye old friend!

Quote from: sadkins on February 08, 2014, 04:34:05 PM
Got me a elite energy 35 last month love archery

Elite Energy 35
Matthews Z7 Extreme
PSE X Force 7