OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

choke tube for a remington 870 super mag

Started by shorthair15, April 30, 2013, 09:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shorthair15

hello every one. this is my first post here im new to turkey hunting i picked up a tru glo choke tube for my 870 super mag at cabelas. i was looking for a choke tube for my remington 870 super mag. was going to to change the stock out to remington thumbhole and try a red dot sight as well. learned one thing already need to do research on choke tubes before you buy. i looked at a indian river and the pure gold. i hunt turkeys in washington state. thanks any help would be greatly appreciated. i have 5 different boxes of shells to try they are all number 5's 3 inch shells. i have federal,remington and winchester. have not tried hevi shot.

ILIKEHEVI-13

:welcomeOG:

Let me direct you to this thread that was posted earlier today. 

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,36164.0.html

shorthair15

thanks ,forgot that it was all ready posted. im new to the turkey hunting. i hunted a little bit for them years back when i got out of the military. just getting back into it. wanted to get a choke tube that would work with shot gun shells i have. wanted to get one choke tube that would work with the hevi shot if i try it and the regular lead shells. all the shells i have are 3 inch number 5's.

SCDieselDawg

:welcomeOG:

I'm currently working on a 26" barreled 870 myself.  I will warn you. If the box of Remington shells you have is anything like the ones I tried this morning, you will more than likely be disappointed by them. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Hevi-13 3.5" 2.25oz #7's is in my honest opinion of being a patterning nut the way to go for densest patterns that will cleanly kill with just simply put more hits to the vitals than other loads currently on the market.  All you have to do is find the right choke for your barrel and your in business.  And that shouldn't be hard.  I would recommend you to try chokes from .655 to .675.  I wished I could pick the exact choke your barrel would like the best.  But I'm afraid it's not that simple.  The best shooting choke that I ahve found for my barrel has been the MAD Super Max .675 shooting Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7's.  I bought mine off of gunbroker for like $28 shipped.  Indian Creek makes it.  My barrel is 28" long.  But I will tell you what that Ventilator .655 choke for the money is hard to beat in my gun.  But I also like my Pure Gold .670 choke.  I should of kept the Indian Creek BDS .669 choke I had.  That was another great choke.  I'll show you one of best the MAD Super Max has shot from a 3" load of Hevi-13 2oz #7's. 

turkey buster

I was also disappointed with remington shells out of my 870. The .665 jellyhead with 3.5in mag blends shoot well for me

Jbird22

A Jellyhead .665 throws an awesome pattern when paired with my 870 SM 23" bbl. It was a little too tight for my liking though and so I backed off to a Rem SF (Hevi approved) .675 for little more open pattern. I kept the JH though for when I hunt fields and other open terrain.

lowoctane

Jellyhead .665 shoots great out of SM 23" barrel... :fud:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

nyhunter

jellyhead .660 H-13 3.5" #6's shoot awesome patterns out of both my SM 870's

gophert

Go to the pattern section and do a search for 870.  There may be 1 or 2 options.  :icon_thumright:

But, since you ask: