OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870SM 28" choke reccomendations

Started by Chilly, April 30, 2013, 07:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chilly

I just bought a brand new 870 SM 28" waterfowl gun from a friend of mine.  I really liked the duck blind camo and seems it would blend in with anything.
Turkey season is pretty much over for me so I thought I would get started on the build for next season.  I am going to polish the barrel for sure and still thinking on whether or not I should have the forcing cone cut or not?  (thoughts on this too please). 
I plan on shooting Hevi #6's or 7's.  What are your thoughts on a good choke for this gun \ shell combination? 
Thanks for your help!
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

allaboutshooting

Congratulations! With that 28" barrel you should be able to get some excellent patterns. I would of course deep clean it and then shoot it to see how it patterns. That may well be all that you need to do to it. If you do have the forcing cone lengthened, I'd recommend that you consider Rob Roberts for that work.

You have a very wide choice of chokes of course. I've tried most or all of them over the years and found several that work very well. I have several 28" Remington barrels and like that length due to less muzzle jump and more stability which seems to give me more even patterning. The Wright's #3, Hevi-13, Pure Gold and the SSX all yield excellent patterns with the best coming from 3" Hevi-13 shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot. I'm also very impressed with the White Lightning lead loads of #6 shot.

Good luck with your new gun regardless of the choke you choose, you have a real winner.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SCDieselDawg

I'd go for the Hevi shot choke. Ive tried it and the .660 Jelly Head. The JH did well but the Hevi choke simply out shot it.

FL-Boss

Hevi, Jelly Head, Indian Creek, Wrights – you really can't go wrong with that gun.  All those chokes should shoot pretty close to the same.  I can tell you, regardless of the choke above, shoot HEVI #7.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I have a Rem 870 3"  28" barrel.  I like shooting Hevi-13 7's mostly.  But I have shot some Hevi-13 6's as well.  The chokes I have had the best luck with for normal temp like around 60 to 70 degrees here in MO for our turkey season has been the MAD Super Max .675.  That's been probably my best shooting choke.  Indian Creek made that choke.  It's no longer made, but there are still some out there.  I have also had great luck with a Indian Creek BDS .669 choke that I got from Mike and Stuart's shop directly since I live fairly close.  The Indian Creek .665 BDS choke that they sell in all the stores may work for you barrel, but it didn't shoot the 7's well in my barrel.  I also tried a Indian Creek .655 BDS choke that shot very well.  But the .669 shot better.  I have a Pure Gold .670 choke that shoots very well.  I know a lot of guys that swear by the Jelly head .660 or .665 for shooting Hevi-13 loads, but I tried both and they both shot about identical to the Indian Creek .665 BDS choke which was around 204 shot in the 10" at 40yd with the Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7's.  But again your barrel may like them.  I also have a Hevi-Shot .662 choke made by Carlson's that a lot of folks say shoot the Hevi-13 loads very well.  I haven't  got to try it yet.  But any of these chokes may work in your barrel, as well as the others that Clark mentioned.

But good luck and let us know how things turn out for you. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

There was one other choke I would strongly recommend for you to try.  And it's only about $25 to your door.  Now it has always shot very good patterns in my 870 28" barrel 3" gun. That's the Rem Ventilator .655.  I ended up giving mine to my buddy Mark, son, Spencer, and he loves that choke.  He killed a good gobbler with it last spring with some of the Hevi-13 #7's or 6's.  His 870 28" barrel 3" gun loves the choke as well.  It seems to do very well shooting Hevi-13 #7's or 6's. 

Here's a link.  I'll also if I may show you a few patterns this cheap priced choke has shot for me.  And pay no attention to the lead only on the choke it will work great shooting Hevi-13 loads. 

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/956890.htm

Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7's Rem 870 Ventilator .655 40yds taped  Now this first one below was the backer cardboard that I had an actual 11" x11" turkey target taped to it.  This was where I removed the turkey target and put my 10" glass cutout on the densest part of pattern.  The very next one will be the actual turkey target. 

Here's one the Ventilator .655 shot a cool 45 degree day with Hevi-13 3" 1.75oz #6's and Rem 870.  This shocked me. 

And here's one more on that same cool 45 degree day I thought was very good for the temp with the Ventilator .655 and Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7's and my 870. 

Like I said it 's a good cheap choke to try. 

FL-Boss

Chilly,
I would personally leave the forcing cone alone for now. Just polish that barrel.  That gun should easily shoot 250+ in a 10in@40 yards with a decent choke and HEVI #7.  Just call touch base with Clark above and he will make sure that gun knocks then dead. 

Chilly

Thanks for all of the replies fellas.  I am shipping the barrel out to Rob Roberts today for the forcing cone lengthening and polishing.  I will polish the barrel when it comes back from his shop.  I'm going to pick up a Hevi Choke Friday, and possibly order the Ventilator choke as well. 
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

turkey buster

If you got an extra $50 after the custom job on the barrel pick up a .655 jellyhead as well. My barrel is only 26in but it performs well for me.