OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help an newbie

Started by 10ga.Trauma, February 13, 2013, 12:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10ga.Trauma

Hey im new to the sport, and am from northern Indiana, there are a decent number of birds around, but its pretty tought to get permission to hunt in the subdivisions and small tree lots they call home. Does anyone have andy advice for scouting birds outside of an area that the scouter knows well, how to find birds well before season so he can beat the other hunters to asking for permission, and the best way to go about asking for permission, any tips would be helpful. Thanks!

atoler

look on your state game website, and look at any public land within an hour of you.

I assume that much of your area is ag land? if so, ride the back roads with binoculars in the evenings and mark where you see birds. Then go knock on doors. There are several ways to make this more effective. offer to help with chores, offer them a little bit of money, or take a youngster with you. Make sure you are wearing decent clothes when you go to asking people, they will feel more comfortable about you hunting on their land.

alex_sebh

The permission part isn't answered, but there's a lot of good scouting info at https://southeasternbowhunting.com/how-to-turkey-hunt/. Talks about e-scouting, boots-on-the-ground scouting finding sign, listening for gobbles, and setting up on them. Hope this helps!

Lcmacd 58

All good advice ..... scouting is crucial. It gets harder each and every year to get permission from land owners but you dont know if you dont ask. Public land is pretty easy to locate if all else fails with the land owners. I hunt public land almost exclusively and believe me it takes alot of time but it is possible.  I know this is real general but get started early and over time itll be worth it.

Paulmyr

When asking for permission, use a plat book or Onx to get the land owners name. When you knock on the door ask for them by name and introduce yourself. Tell them your sorry for bothering them but your hoping to get permission to turkey hunt.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Lcmacd 58

As always be polite when asking ...

Happy

Look rugged and manly, be in better than average physical condition. Be good-looking and polite. Hope the landowners wife answers the door.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Marc

Asking for permission.

Make sure you are reasonably appropriately dressed (polo shirt and nice jeans or Khaki's) presentable (not wearing camo and unkempt with your leafy-camo).

Start off humble and apologetic (for the intrusion).  I start off by telling them who I am, what my profession is, and what I am looking to do.

As Atoler mentions...  Taking a kid along to ask permission does NOT hurt.

I have pre-printed sheets with my information, along with my business cards.  I generally offer them a free eye examination with permission.

I prefer to catch them out and about, rather than intruding upon their house.  See someone at a mail box, or working on a gate, etc....  Seems a lot less intrusive than entering a gate and driving some ways on private property to ask if you can use said private property.

Make sure that you let the land-owner know you will leave the property cleaner when you arrived.  If you do get permission, pick up any trash (even if it is not yours).   Close gates behind you.  Make sure not to shoot towards buildings or equipment...  Etc. 

First hunt I bring a bottle of wine or gift-card to a local restaraunt...  End of the season, I write a thank you card.  If I took one of my kids they also write a thank you card (which goes a LONG WAYS).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Sir-diealot

If they tell you no do not cop an attitude, be polite and thank them for their time and tell them to have a nice day/afternoon/evening whatever is appropriate. I once had a guy tell me no and I did as I said about, talked to him a minute or two more and started to leave, he yelled out "Stop" then told me I was the only person that showed up, was told no and was still very polite and because of that I could hunt.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Cut N Run

Be willing to trade work for hunting rights. 

I keep horse trails cleared from downed trees, keep limbs over trails trimmed, and fill or mark stump holes, so the riders can ride and don't have to worry about ducking & dodging limbs, or tripping of holes or rocks.  I also mend fences at those same horse farms which gives me exclusive turkey hunting rights.  It also gives me rights to fish all the ponds too.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Zobo

Quote from: Happy on April 23, 2023, 02:39:06 PM
Look rugged and manly, be in better than average physical condition. Be good-looking and polite. Hope the landowners wife answers the door.

Oh sure, easy for you to say!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on April 23, 2023, 02:39:06 PM
LMBO  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Zobo

I recently asked one of my neighbors for permission to hunt on her property which is an expansive horse farm. It's not easy to make that first ask especially if you're unsure of how the owners feel about hunting in general. I live in the Northeast so there are many, many antis here. But one thing I did was find out she likes to ride her horses with a little 22. So I brought her a couple of boxes of CCI mini mags. Let me tell you when I gave her that ammo she instantly became my best friend. So don't forget those kind of gestures, they really matter.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14