OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

New Hardcore "AirGun Only" Hunter from CALIFORNIA. Yes it's legal.

Started by AirGun Man, June 28, 2012, 11:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AirGun Man

New member to the forum from Northern California. Airgun only hunter. Looking to help spread the word on how awesome Pellet Gun Turkey Hunting is. I bowhunted Turkeys hardcore for 12 years before discovering the most awesome turkey hunting out there 3 years ago.  I know it is controversial but I have actually found it to be much more deadly than bowhunting. Check it out on youtube under "Pellet Gun Turkey Hunting Television." Episode 5 and 6 are epic. While bowhunting I wounded more birds than I want to admit and I consider myself a decent shot and shoot 3D tournaments and practice bow often. As many know the kill zone for turkeys body is small and many bowhunters learn that lesson when you hit them but they run off and now they are wounded.  I always felt terrible as most do.  I shot for the head late in my bowhunting career but couldn't shoot the magnus through the mesh on the front of my Double Bull Titan 2 so I aimed mostly for the body with Grim Reapers. What I love about Pellet Gun Turkey Hunting is that it is much more challenging but yet always results in a CLEAN HIT or a CLEAN MISS with nothing in between if you stay within your range capability and only aim for the head while strutting or standing still.  Try not to beat me up too bad until you see the results of how clean a kill that a Pellet gun makes on turkeys. Pellet guns are the only form of hunting in some areas out here due to the fact that the shotgun is too noisy. We are also run over by turkeys in some areas near houses leaving only bow or pellet gun.

drenalinld

I think it's a cool way to go. Not legal in most places. I would disagree on clean kill or miss, you can wound birds just like any other method. 

dirt road ninja

:welcomeOG:

Hope it stays legal for you. I have no problem at all if folks hunt with a air rifle. Would love to try it myself.

Turkey Call Maker

Jim

turkey slayer

AirGun Man

Thanks everybody.  I appreciate the warm reception.   A lot of hardcore shotgun hunters are offended by the new turkey hunting styles like bow, crossbow , and Airgun but everyone here seems to have an open mind and seems to realize that any legal hunter is good for the sport of hunting and we must ban together to fight the anti's not each other. Thanks and look forward to learning some new tricks to fool the wariest Toms.   :thanks:

Wingbone

Welcome aboard Airgunhunter. I have seen the videos and am very impressed. Personally, I would prefer to hunt turkeys with airguns over a bow any day, for the reasons you mentioned. They never show the hundreds of lost bowshot turkeys it takes to keep the bills paid at the outdoor channel. You should be able to offer a whole different perspective of hunting the birds we all cherish so much.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

coyotetrpr

Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Lumpy

Welcome from another California turkey hunter,  where bouts you live? I'm in Roseville!
God Bless
It's not a religon, it's a relationship, JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!!!

Hook's Custom Calls Prostaffer
www.hookscalls.com

AirGun Man

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.  Once you go Pellet Gun you never go back.   The pellet gun kill range depends mostly on the wind.  Personally I prefer to have them around 5-15 yards and that is what makes it so exciting.  With the pellet gun you have to be much more patient than any other form of turkey hunting and therefore you get to see a lot of interesting behavior that other turkey hunters never see mainly due to the fact the trigger has already been pulled.   Thanks Hooked Spur from Cali for the welcome.  I am from the Davis area and hunt mostly around the base of the Coastal Mountains but the past couple of years the turkeys are moving out of town in Davis and establishing giant flocks all over the alfalfa fields and nut orchards dotting the area so I don't have to travel but a couple of miles from the house now.  Parts of Davis in town are covered up in Turkeys.  They have taken over the cemetery and they even had to get a sharpshooter one year to take several hundred out.  Still won't let anyone hunt them in town although I think the Pellet Gun is the best for that type of situation where you have a lot of houses in the area.  

:fud: :turkey2:

Lumpy

I pass by you every time I go to church, and yes I see birds almost everytime out in the fields!
God Bless
It's not a religon, it's a relationship, JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!!!

Hook's Custom Calls Prostaffer
www.hookscalls.com

dlquinn

:welcomeOG: Were pretty much neighbors, I am in Vacaville  :icon_thumright:
NRA-STAND AND FIGHT

captin_hook

AirGun Man

In reply to dlquinn.    Do you hunt around Vacaville?  Vacaville is loaded with turkeys but it is tough to get access.