Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Nitro's vs Hevi-13? I have shot Nitro's for the past few years and love them

Started by WVhuntEER, February 21, 2011, 10:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S.C.C

IMO,great shell for the price,but it'll be hard to compare them with NITRO ammo!!! :icon_thumright:

randywallace

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 24, 2011, 12:45:51 AM
Quote from: surehuntsalot on February 23, 2011, 10:15:38 PM
Quote from: BigPeck215 on February 22, 2011, 09:39:37 PM
i think that the hevi 13 7's are gonna put a hurtin on Nitros this year and in the future, a box of 5 for $20 - $5 rebate comes down to 3 bucks a shell. Nitros are at least 2x as much per shell and you dont have to wait 3 months for the Nitros.  With the 7's most people can get 200 in the 10" all day with the Hevi 13's at 40yds

sure you can get the nitros and put 300 in the 10" ring but all you need is 100 in the 10 to consistently kill turks and the hevi 13 already gets double the minimum and are half the price, you do the math!!!!!!

+ 1

+2

I agree.  For the money the Hevi-13 #7 loads are the better value

Not for me.  If I was worried about was wether I was payin $3 bucks a shell versus 6 bucks a shell, i would shoot a high brass pheasant load in number 6.  EM is going to have to increase the amount of shot and speed those things up a bit if they want to step up to Nitro.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Comparing the blends to the nitros isn't  really doing the Hevi-13 loads justice.  Compare the Hevi-13 straight 7's to the same exact size load in the nitros and I would bet that is would be close.  I have got 349 shot in a 10" out of my 835 with the 3.5' 2and 1/4oz #7 loads.  Now if Nitros can do even slighty better for more than $2 a shell the point is really moot.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

Heck I shot Tues in 45 degree weather and had one choke turn in 312 shot in a 10" with these same loads out of my 835.  That's dang good for that temp.  Very few loads would duplicate that in that cool of weather. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

HOOK KILLER

You can say what you want but I have shot both and EM Hevi shells will never perform like Nitros.  With that being said they are still a good shell and quite a bit cheaper.  Dead is dead no matter how you look at it. I still shoot the nitros and just ordered a new box. Nitros are what i started with and as long as they are advailable i will be shooting them.  I have never had the problems alot of you say you have with their customer service but thats just me.  I look at it this way........... I spend 200 dollars on calls, have 3 nice guns with burris optics and choke tubes , tons of money on camo and gas etc.  With all that said the bullets in my gun are probaly the least expensive and hands down the most inportant !!!!! That is why i still shoot nitros.  Alot of guys buy 5 or 6 choke tubes trying to get the pattern they are looking for when they could buy 1 tube and a box of nitros and get  what they are looking for the first time. Just my view on things  :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

ILIKEHEVI-13

And I do see your logic.  Nitros are no doubt a wicked shell.  But they should be for what they cost.  The Hevi-13 are a very close second though.  My way of thinking is if I'm going to pay about $160 or so for a box of 25 shells then I might as well just start loading some TSS loads and be done with it.  That way I am getting even more performance.  But I myself am content with the Hevi-13 loads.  I don't need any better performance.  But that's not knocking the guys that feel the need to buy Nitros or reload TSS.  We all have our thoughts on what we want and like.   :you_rock:

trash2

Can you shoot the 3 1/2 in 7s thru a compnchoke? Why is the constriction the same as other chokes but yet i keep hearing that i should change chokes? I regularly shot 3.5 in steel number 3s thru it with no issues and it shot well however i have yet to find a shell to break the 100 mark. Thanks

ILIKEHEVI-13

Charlie Boswell doesn't recommend that you shoot Hevi-13 loads through the Comp-n-Choke.  The way the ports are cut perpendicular to the choke is supposed to make it weaker shooting these loads.  I shot a few Rem Hevi-Shot loads years ago out of my Browning Gold 3.5 gun and a Comp-n-Choke and never had a problem.  They shot very well.  But I'm not going to say do it.  That is up to you.  But I will say that Charlie Boswell also tells people the same thing about shooting Hevi-13 loads out of a Kicks chokes or at least he did.  And there are a lot of people that do so and never had a problem.  I can also tell you that Kick's chokes are probably without question one of the beefiest chokes at the top of any choke I have held in my hand.  They have a lot of steel as far as thickeness goes and are a heavy made choke.  And I believe they are made out of 17-4PH(Pre-Hardened) stainless steel.  

trash2

Thanks just ordered some 7s completely against my will (always liked 5s). anyone use the hevi chokes? gunna stick with my compnchoke for now and give it a try with the hevi 7s

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: trash2 on February 26, 2011, 11:56:56 AM
Thanks just ordered some 7s completely against my will (always liked 5s). anyone use the hevi chokes? gunna stick with my compnchoke for now and give it a try with the hevi 7s

What gun are we talking about here?

trash2

Nova, super 90 has choke that has become part of the barrel.. may switch to ol trusty a5 tho if i cant get a better pattern. just like the idea of 3.5 and have the gun for that sole reason (turkeys) so kind of want to stick with it rather than send it to the attic.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: trash2 on February 26, 2011, 12:37:37 PM
Nova, super 90 has choke that has become part of the barrel.. may switch to ol trusty a5 tho if i cant get a better pattern. just like the idea of 3.5 and have the gun for that sole reason (turkeys) so kind of want to stick with it rather than send it to the attic.

Probably a .660 or .665 choke will work about the best with Hevi-13 loads.  Indian Creek makes some great ones.  And they guarantee your satisfaction or you can swap out until your tickled.