OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lets see the painted shotguns

Started by chad fenton, January 31, 2012, 05:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chad fenton

I dont post much just alot of browsing.  I have seen alot of nice shotguns throughout the post.  Alot of factory como jobs out there.  I have a cheap ole maverick 88 that I just painted and as soon as it gets reassembled I will post a pick .  In the meantime lets see some of those fancy and not so fanscy paint jobs.  Mine is not beautiful but should get the job done.

Big Timber

reynolds243

Not a shot fun but did this one a few years back

houser52

Here's my 870 coyote gun that I did several years ago. The pattern turned out pretty good but I stripped it all off this past weekend.  That was a pain.
If the weather was hot or if I held it too long the finish got sticky and I hated that. It's now paint free and black .

mightyjoeyoung

Here's my 835 thumbhole.  Simple 3 color "sniper" paint job from light to dark using about 1/2 the coverage for each color. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Dixie Whistler

Wow those are all really sharp!  Is it really difficult and how durable is the paint?

BOFF

dmatheny21

It sucks when you leave your snake boots on the front porch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you give 10 people a bag of gold, one person will complain about it being too heavy!!!

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Dixie Whistler on January 31, 2012, 08:00:12 PM
Wow those are all really sharp!  Is it really difficult and how durable is the paint?

The prep work is the worst part, but if you wana do it right, you NEED TO PREP THE METAL.  As far as durability...depends on the paint you use.  If you use the krylon stuff, make sure the metal is CLEAN.  I put a thin, LIGHT coat of tan etching primer on first, then a total coat of tan ultra flat, then ultra flat olive, using a sprig of evergreen shrub to give a negative shadow effect and spryaing only about half or less the area of the full tan coat.  Then I used ultra clat black and did the same thing, covering only about half of the area that the green covered.  The big thing that affects the durabilty is when you put the next cot on and how thick and then how long you let the gun sit and allow the paint to cure.  I took mine out and set it in the sun EVERY DAY for a week, weather permitting.  It cured the paint hard and I have very few areas of wear, even with just using the spary krylon.  If I ever do it again, I WILL be using the Brownell's Dura Coat spray on stuff.  EXTREMELY THIN and TOUGH and can even be used where parts wear on each other like the mag tube or even action bars.  PLUS, it is very solvent resistant...unlike the regular spray paints.  Isn't exactly cheap, but then the juice should be worth the  squeeze right?
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

DMP

chad fenton

They look good guys.  Waitin on on a couple things (sight and choke tube)for maverick and I'll post a pick of it.

Curtdawg88

I have nevery painted a gun myself, but I would like to one day.  I found a pretty good step by step guide on another forum a while back.  I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link to another forum, but here goes.  Seems like this guy really knows his stuff.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36000 
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."

chad fenton

Yeah I have seen that that paint job is pretty nice.

Mossberg835