OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Burris Speed Bead Review (First Impressions)

Started by Jbird22, February 14, 2011, 07:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird22

I finally got to shoot my 870 this evening for the first time since I mounted my Speed Bead on it last week. Here are a few thoughts on it after using it for the first time.

Pros:
1. Plenty bright but not too bright and size of dot seems appropriate
2. Doesn't seem to mess with my field of view very much at all
3. Allows me to shoot with both eyes open which feels very natural to me
4. Easy on/off
5. Seemed to hold zero very well

Cons:
1. The only one I could find other than it being a little aggravating to mount was that making adjustments was pretty much a guessing game. However, I shoot bows a good bit so making adjustments wasn't that bad for me honestly. It did take a few tries to dial it in completely but now that it's there I feel like it's there to stay.

Link to a few patterns I shot with it today: http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,1202.0.html

All in all, I think I'm going to really like it!

BurrisOptics

I agree with your review including the cons.   :icon_thumright: To address your cons list you can watch the Remington installation vid I just posted. 

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,1244.0.html

Jbird22

Yep I saw it. It's a really good video and should make installation a breeze. I knew the Dremel would be the ideal way to go but I was too impatient to wait til the next day to get it from work. I think I'm going to take it off though and modify the stock a lil for a better fit.

BurrisOptics

Don't take any more than you have to.  Those prongs are there for a reason and if you relieve too much from the stock then it defeats the purpose of the prongs all together.  You want it tight but not so tight that the spider legs want to push out the sides.  The mount should be flush with the receiver and stock.  On my wood stocked 870 I had to tighten it up to about 90% and then lightly tap the spider legs back in with a brass punch.  I could then tighten it all the way up.  The legs wanted to push out because I didn't make those relief cuts.  The wood is much more forgiving as it has some give and will make room for the prongs. 

Jbird22

Quote from: BurrisOptics on February 15, 2011, 10:07:40 AM
Don't take any more than you have to.  Those prongs are there for a reason and if you relieve too much from the stock then it defeats the purpose of the prongs all together.  You want it tight but not so tight that the spider legs want to push out the sides.  The mount should be flush with the receiver and stock.  On my wood stocked 870 I had to tighten it up to about 90% and then lightly tap the spider legs back in with a brass punch.  I could then tighten it all the way up.  The legs wanted to push out because I didn't make those relief cuts.  The wood is much more forgiving as it has some give and will make room for the prongs.  

Got ya. I only have a tiny gap at the top (less than 1/16" for sure) and it seems to be holding zero just fine so I might just leave it alone for now. The sides and bottom are completely flush. I think the reason for the slight gap at the top is that foam cushion getting pinched honestly. I bent a few of the tabs in slightly (and I mean slightly) to make it fit snug to my receiver. Once I did that, it worked much better with my stock (composite). What do you think I should do?

BurrisOptics

Yeah you can get a bit of gap at the top from the foam getting wedge in there.  It could also be because there are 3 prongs pretty close together up there.  That's the biggest problem area IMO.  I personally would take the stock off, make some quick cuts, and then put it back together.  The prongs will have already left some marks on the stock so you know exactly where to cut which makes it easy.  Having the spider legs, the prongs, and the receiver/stock holding it in place is much stronger than how it is.  It's an easy fix for peace of mind. 

Jbird22

Jbird22

Update: Got the Dremel out this evening and turned a decent fit into a very good fit. It took 5 mins tops. The Dremel is def the way to go when it comes to fitting one to an 870 with syn stock.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions