turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Burris SpeadBead Installation on Remington Shotguns Video

Started by BurrisOptics, February 15, 2011, 09:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BurrisOptics

Having been on the road for the better part of the year I've been so far behind that I haven't been able to catch up on old projects.  I'm finally getting caught up and was able to finish this instructional video that we started last year. 

This video is specifically aimed (no pun intended) at the Remington 870, 1187, and 1100 users.  The mounting process for these guns are the same but are the more difficult ones to mount properly especially if you have a synthetic stock.  I mounted one on my wood stocked 870 and didn't have to make any mods to the stock at all.  YMMV but for the most part you will have to make some mods. 

If you have any questions please just post here. 

Oh and no that's not me in the video.  That's Josh the tech support supervisor. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WDGEio5lZQ

Jbird22

Good video! A Dremel is definitely the ticket for an easy installation.

Skeeterbait

Burris is there a reason no SpeedBead mounting plate has been offered for Mossbergs?

BurrisOptics

We're just waiting for Mossberg to move that safety off of the back strap.   :-\

Skeeterbait

AAAHHHH!  Now I fully understand.  Thank you for enlightening me.  That makes total sense.

BurrisOptics

No problem.  I get that question a lot along with "why can't I use one on my over/under?"  Again, it's the same deal.  Even if you could break the action how would you load it?   ;D

I'm using the Marlin mount on my main turkey gun which is a 835 so I'm right there with you.  We have some other ideas in the works though so be patient.  No promises but you never know what the future (and smart engineers) might bring. 

gobbler74

I like safety's up there but I'm a lefty..and my BPS has it the same way...LOVE IT TOO!
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

traphunter

Not sure I fully understand what the relief cuts are needed for?? How extensive is the mounting process? I want to place an order with Gob74 here today but want to make sure I am getting something that is right for me.

Jbird22

It's more like indentions than cuts. The prongs on the SpeedBead mount bend in toward the part of your stock that slides into the receiver. The indentions/cuts are made to allow for a better fit between the stock, mount, and receiver. The video does a good job of illustrating this but I think the term "cuts" my be a little misleading to some.

Remember, the SpeedBead type mount is the only type that requires this slight modification.

BurrisOptics

Quote from: traphunter on February 22, 2011, 12:17:22 PM
Not sure I fully understand what the relief cuts are needed for?? How extensive is the mounting process? I want to place an order with Gob74 here today but want to make sure I am getting something that is right for me.

The mounting process is pretty simple if you are at all mechanically inclined.  If you can't take a ball point pen apart and reassemble then let someone else do it for you.  The cuts we are talking about are just small areas where the prongs will need to go.  When you have the mount in your hand you will see what we are talking about.  This is all very easy to do. 

BurrisOptics

Quote from: JBIRD22 on February 22, 2011, 12:34:19 PM

Remember, the SpeedBead type mount is the only type that requires this slight modification.

And only the Remingtons at that.

randlet

Will the SpeedBead fit on a 20ga 1187 as well.  If now, are there plans for making one?

BurrisOptics

Quote from: randlet on March 04, 2011, 11:12:56 PM
Will the SpeedBead fit on a 20ga 1187 as well.  If now, are there plans for making one?

No and no.  Sorry.

PostDriver

ok, here's one for you :) .

I received a SpeedBead and installed it .... Dremel tool cut-outs and all.  Fits fine.

Butttttt ....... my red dot is too high...right at the top of the window.  OK, just tighten the wedge screw, right?>  Wrong...  This is one of the new ones with the adjustments (?) on the back of the mount, not on the base of the mount itself.  Still, ok, got that figured out, except there aren't any screws or such inside the adjustment holes to hold the wedge screw in any kind of adjustable position.  The wedge screw moves up and down if I put an allen wrench or screwdriver into the holes in the back of the mount, but there's nothing to hold it once it's raised.  Basically, the wedge screw has nothing to hold it in an adjusted position.

What's the fix ???????????

Thanks, Dennis

BurrisOptics

....... my red dot is too high...right at the top of the window. 

?  I don't understand.  Maybe you need to use a riser or 2?  I'm not real sure what you mean exactly.  Although the dot will remain on the POI it will move within the window depending on where your eye is in relationship to the glass.  I guess you need to either move your head or adjust your cheek weld?  I'm not completely sure.

OK, just tighten the wedge screw, right?>  Wrong...  This is one of the new ones with the adjustments (?) on the back of the mount, not on the base of the mount itself.

Again, I don't understand.  All of the mounts have 2 holes in the back.  All of them have a wedge screw adjustment on the top of the base.  NONE of our mounts have adjustment screws in the back.  Those 2 holes are used to insert mounting pins that hold the mount plate to the mounting base.  Whatever it is you think you might be doing by inserting an allen wrench in there you aren't doing.  There are pins in there not screws. 

QuoteStill, ok, got that figured out, except there aren't any screws or such inside the adjustment holes to hold the wedge screw in any kind of adjustable position. 

See above.

QuoteThe wedge screw moves up and down if I put an allen wrench or screwdriver into the holes in the back of the mount, but there's nothing to hold it once it's raised.  Basically, the wedge screw has nothing to hold it in an adjusted position.

It's working as it was intended.  There isn't a set screw or anything to lock the wedge screw.  Tighten the wedge screw and it will not back out. 

QuoteWhat's the fix ???????????

It sounds to me like your sight and mount are working as they were intended.  Tighten your wedge screw and add a riser or 2 and you should be done.  If I'm wrong then let me know and I'll help you out. 

This is a very simple installation so try not to make it difficult.  Follow the directions in the video and you'll be able mount the sight without any issues.  Please don't create additional steps in the process.