OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Alabama Public Land

Started by Dylanh, March 17, 2024, 09:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylanh

I have been turkey hunting for a while now. I am going to try public land hunting in Alabama this year. Probably at the Cahaba river WMA does anyone have any experience hunting here. Are there any other public land spots near Birmingham that would be worth checking out for turkeys?

Goose11

Oakmulgee, but it's a tough hunt.

Waterhead

I've been hunting Cahaba last 3-4 seasons. Turkeys are pressured a lot. If you get to your desired gate first then that's a huge victory. Always have 3-4 backup spots ready.

Figure on seeing just as many other hunters as you do turkeys.

Last year I saw the most turkeys but heard the least. Maybe because I think last year was the first year they delayed opening the season.

Paulmyr

Probably means you had a good hatch 2 years ago and had a glut of hens running around. No gobbling needed when your surrounded by hens all the time. Bet this year will be better as last year's Jake's will be in the gobbler mix this year.

Last year was brutal for me on hearing gobbles in Ms. Good hatch 2 years ago shut the gobbling down. This year I heard more gobbling in a couple days than I did in almost 3 weeks last year.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Super Fox

Locust Fork or Okmulgee, but the terrain can be very rough with severe drop-offs. Wear good boots.
The Talladega  NF below Tuscaloosa SW of Duncanville has produced some turkeys over the years.