turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Upper Sardis WMA hunt tips

Started by UArctos901, February 25, 2024, 11:32:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UArctos901

Got drawn for the Upper Sardis WMA Ms hunt. Familiarity with area is zero but looking forward to giving it a good shot at filling my tag. My question is has anyone hinted this area or have tips that may help my learning curve here. Been putting miles in on my legs so I am going to go with run and gun as the first option. Again any help would be appreciated in advance

3bailey3

UArctos901

Paulmyr

I hunted it last year after the draw season. One thing I will say is don't spook the turkeys. When the WMA opened to the general public it only took the birds a day or 2 to realize it was hunting season and start clamoring for the safety of private after fly down. At least that was my experience. 1st day they were hanging on public, by the second they held close to private. When the 3rd day rolled around they all beelined for private. That area was getting pounded by hunters.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

UArctos901

Thanks that's sound advice I can go on. By day three be close to private borders if possible. My initial plan of attack is to locate get close quietly and calmly as possible bump a call a couple times at most see what happens. Also plan to hunt the whole day hopefully I can catch an afternoon bird slipping

Paulmyr

Well my experience was after the regular season opened. That's usually the case on most public land I hunt after the masses get turned loose.

Didn't seem like the draw hunts bothered them much.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.