turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tips for Florida

Started by Canadian, February 20, 2024, 12:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian

I want to start things off by saying that i am NOT looking for handouts. If you sent me a pin, i probably wouldnt even trust you anyways, and would probably avoid it, if anything.

That being said, i was wondering if anybody had any big tips for hunting in south Florida; anything, from survival to strategy. This will be my first year hunting down there. I should be down there in plenty of time to start scouting @ first light Feb 26th. I hear its been a wet year and am hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. I have 6 pairs of boots, of which 3 are old boots i expect to throw out when im done.

Ive done some basic research on things such as food sources (acorns, grasshoppers/insects), and have an idea on habitat types that turkeys like... however, i hear Florida is different from EVERYWHERE else. Is there any habitat features to keep a look out for? Maybe wet years can push turkeys to concentrated dry areas, and to some extent, be used as an advantage?

Regardless, i understand that the best way to learn will come with tying up my boots, but would love to hear from those that are seasoned in South Florida public land hunting. Cant wait.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

They tend to like the coolness a wet cypress head offers later in the morning.  Ask some locals about what terrain they like, but mostly they are just evil, no-gobbling, dark-hearted little turkeys.   :TooFunny:I know I'm late and I hope you found a couple willing players down there.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Canadian

Quote from: Tail Feathers on March 07, 2024, 10:22:55 PM
They tend to like the coolness a wet cypress head offers later in the morning.  Ask some locals about what terrain they like, but mostly they are just evil, no-gobbling, dark-hearted little turkeys.   :TooFunny:I know I'm late and I hope you found a couple willing players down there.
Your description of them seems accurate. Supposedly this is the wettest year in 84 years? I mean, as a first timer, i wouldn't know the difference anyways. One thing i do know, is im knee deep in water from the truck to where ive found birds - 5 miles away.

GobbleNut

Five miles in through knee-deep water!  Now that's dedication for you.  You deserved that gobbler!  Not only that, but you got a really unique gobbler with that fan coloration.  Congrats on your successful hunt.   :icon_thumright:

YoungGobbler

Quote from: Canadian  on March 08, 2024, 05:28:08 PM
Quote from: Tail Feathers on March 07, 2024, 10:22:55 PM
Your description of them seems accurate. Supposedly this is the wettest year in 84 years? I mean, as a first timer, i wouldn't know the difference anyways. One thing i do know, is im knee deep in water from the truck to where ive found birds - 5 miles away.

Good job for your hunt buddy  :icon_thumright:

Heritage

Lcmacd 58

Congrats....these old knees would have given out