OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Doc said no shotgun this year. Can you give me a crash course in Crossbows?

Started by Timmer, February 02, 2024, 10:52:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timmer

Hi all,

After living with a defective heart valve for over 50 years it finally gave up.  A week and a half ago I had open heart surgery and an artificial valve put in.  The 2 sides of my breast plate where they split me open will still be fusing and healing come turkey season.  The doctor said "absolutely no" on using a shotgun come April-May (there goes trap shooting leagues too).  So, I find myself considering a crossbow for turkeys.  I know absolutely nothing about them.  I've never even looked at one.  Some questions:

- First off, this whole investigation hinges on my assumption that a crossbow will have minimal kick.  Is this correct?
- General equipment recommendation as far as the bow?  I don't want to break the bank because I don't see myself using one forever.  Would you trust buying used, and from where?
- Type of bolts and broadhead to consider?
- Where do I shoot the bird?  I know in hunting shows I've seen them shoot them by the wing or up the rear end?  Has technology changed that?
- I am Mr ADHD and love sneak hunting.  For me, sitting in a blind is only for when it's pouring rain.  Can I sneak hunt with a crossbow? 
- I guess a sub question for sneak hunting is does it have a safety function and could I keep it cocked (sorry if I'm not using crossbow terms)?  Or is that dangerous and do I have to cock it when I tuck back into the woods?  Is cocking it a loud process?
- If I have to keep it un-cocked, is going through the woods going to be impossible because it is wide and bulky?
- What else do I need to know?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Bowguy

I used a crossgun for a very tiny bit when I was sick. I'd never consider any type of sneaking w it. Cumbersome and unwieldy imo. Buying any thing like that used is crap shoot especially if you don't know the piece or where it came from and was maintained.
Lots of dangers associated with one no one talks about. Plenty of guys lost most their skin or worse on fingers sticking them into the triangle of doom.
Any broadhead suitable for deer would work for turkey. They're just no fun weapons but I'm like you if I had zero option I'd consider it and for a bit I did. Just remember Bruce Jenner started using one and look what happened? Just funning bud. I personally am no fan but we do what we gotta do. If you were closer I'd let you borrow the one I'd used. 
Hope you get better real quick. God bless you buddy

Oh n yes there is a safety. They go on automatically once you fully cock

3bailey3

No felt recoil, I would look at a Wicked ridge, it's made by Ten point and buy new.I would go to a bow shop and shoot one and let them help you set it up. Like bowguy said cumbersome walking with it through the woods with, I would leave it cocked while moving but remove the bolt and never ever put your hand in the strings path. Get well and good luck!

MK M GOBL

I have been selling Crossbows for 30+ years, they have their place for hunting. I am still a firm believer in if you are able to use a conventional use it, with that said when my dad turned 65 and had not been bowhunting since I was 12years old I never had those hunts with him... Well on my birthday that year I bought my dad a "present", a TenPoint Crossbow that I got a good deal on, dad was sure confused why I bought him a present on my birthday, my present was that I was going to be able to bow hunt with him!

So here's what I would tell you, if this is just a temp thing, I would look at a Wicked Ridge M370, you can find them a good deal right now on sale, check out Cabela's/Bass Pro page for this, it has scope/quiver/and AcuDraw System, you will need bolts for it, not in the pkg, go with the Carbon 400's and 100gr broadheads.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/wicked-ridge-m-370-crossbow-package-with-acudraw

If this is going to be a from here on out, I would spend a little more and upgrade to a AcuSlide System, this way you do not have to fire a bolt off after every hunt, you can SAFELY de-cock the crossbow. If this is long term then I would look at the TenPoint Turbo S1, more money but well worth it.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/tenpoint-turbo-s1-crossbow-package-with-acuslide

If you any other sort of question with this, you can PM me.

MK M GOBL

eggshell

Quote from: 3bailey3 on February 02, 2024, 12:12:35 PM
I would leave it cooked while moving but remove the bolt and never ever put your hand in the strings path. Get well and good luck!

ONE HUNDRED PERCENT Never ever trust one. Always, I say always take the bolt off when not set up and I would even uncock it. I can tell you no one wants to be shot with one, and I won't burden everyone by explaining how I know this....

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

GobbleNut

I have only used a couple of cheap crossbows in my life and have no real clue about them other than my personal experience.  My first thought, again based on my experience, is that the ones I shot required a significant amount of effort to cock...and I would think the motion needed for that would put stress on your chest that would be at least equivalent, and possibly worse, than the recoil of a shotgun. 

My only recommendation for you would be to investigate that aspect of using a crossbow.  That is, assuming you would be the one cocking it.  Now again, I stress that the crossbows I have used were very cheap models. Perhaps more expensive bows require a lot less effort to cock.   

3bailey3

Bowguy

As Bailey said there are crank models and even aftermarket cranks you could buy if you got one without. The stress would be high and maybe impossible without that.

Timmer

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 02, 2024, 05:25:47 PM
My first thought, again based on my experience, is that the ones I shot required a significant amount of effort to cock...and I would think the motion needed for that would put stress on your chest that would be at least equivalent, and possibly worse, than the recoil of a shotgun. 

My only recommendation for you would be to investigate that aspect of using a crossbow.  That is, assuming you would be the one cocking it.  Now again, I stress that the crossbows I have used were very cheap models. Perhaps more expensive bows require a lot less effort to cock.

This thought occurred to me shortly after I made my post.  I wasn't able to get in front of the computer for follow up until now but some of you are already addressing this.

Right now I have a max of 10 lb of pressure either pushing or pulling.  I'm hoping they will double or triple this come turkey time.  Does anyone know how many pounds of force a crank would take?
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Bowguy

Quote from: Timmer on February 02, 2024, 06:36:55 PM
Quote from: GobbleNut on February 02, 2024, 05:25:47 PM
My first thought, again based on my experience, is that the ones I shot required a significant amount of effort to cock...and I would think the motion needed for that would put stress on your chest that would be at least equivalent, and possibly worse, than the recoil of a shotgun. 

This thought occurred to me shortly after I made my post.  I wasn't able to get in front of the computer for follow up until now but some of you are already addressing this.

Right now I have a max of 10 lb of pressure either pushing or pulling.  I'm hoping they will double or triple this come turkey time.  Does anyone know how many pounds of force a crank would take?

I couldn't tell you exact force as it'll vary but very frail kids and elderly folks have zero probs and I see many, perhaps a couple times a month. I don't think a crank would be beyond your limitations

Treerooster

Quote from: Timmer on February 02, 2024, 10:52:36 AM
Hi all,

After living with a defective heart valve for over 50 years it finally gave up.  A week and a half ago I had open heart surgery and an artificial valve put in.  The 2 sides of my breast plate where they split me open will still be fusing and healing come turkey season.  The doctor said "absolutely no" on using a shotgun come April-May (there goes trap shooting leagues too).  So, I find myself considering a crossbow for turkeys.  I know absolutely nothing about them.  I've never even looked at one.  Some questions:

- First off, this whole investigation hinges on my assumption that a crossbow will have minimal kick.  Is this correct?
- General equipment recommendation as far as the bow?  I don't want to break the bank because I don't see myself using one forever.  Would you trust buying used, and from where?
- Type of bolts and broadhead to consider?
- Where do I shoot the bird?  I know in hunting shows I've seen them shoot them by the wing or up the rear end?  Has technology changed that?
- I am Mr ADHD and love sneak hunting.  For me, sitting in a blind is only for when it's pouring rain.  Can I sneak hunt with a crossbow? 
- I guess a sub question for sneak hunting is does it have a safety function and could I keep it cocked (sorry if I'm not using crossbow terms)?  Or is that dangerous and do I have to cock it when I tuck back into the woods?  Is cocking it a loud process?
- If I have to keep it un-cocked, is going through the woods going to be impossible because it is wide and bulky?
- What else do I need to know?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I hunt with a crossbow for turkey and deer. First got it to take advantage of the early archery season in KS when they made it legal. Then Nebraska made them legal and finally Wis, where I hunt deer a lot made the xbow legal during archery season. So I have been hunting with an xbow for 12 seasons now. Started off with a Wicked Ridge Invader (rope to draw back) then went to a Tenpoint Viper (hand crank to draw...much better). I don't shoot real far either...deer max 30 yds, turkey max 25 yds. That may influence my equipment choices.

I'll try to answer some of your questions in the order you posted them;

-Crossbow do not have much kick at all. My Invader was pretty noisy, almost like a ,22. The Viper is much quieter), but kick is very minimal.

-Not sure what to recommend for you, sounds like others may be more familiar with all the different choices. Sounds like you may need a hand crank tho. The rope draw isn't that hard, but may be more than 10lbs. You could probably investigate that at an xbow shop.

-I use Tenpoint bolts (they really are arrows not bolts but that is splitting hairs). Tenpoint has a special nock the use and their arrows have that. I use a mechanical broadhead, NAP Spitfire in 100 grain. I am switching to 125 grain tho as I believe a heavier arrow puts less stress on the bow and I don't shoot that far anyways.

-Where to hit a turkey? This is a pretty good video on a turkey's anatomy and where to aim. Starts off with just some kill shots, but not too far in is some real good advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6blN4_l00b0

-I've never hunted with my xbow out of a blind. I do use a Gobbler Lounger a lot. One thing about an xbow is it is heavy on the bow end (especially my old invader) and they are tippy...harder to hold steady. The G Lounger helps me with that and it is fairly portable so as not to make moving around too difficult.

-I hunt with my bow cocked but never with an arrow on the rails when I am moving. There is a safety on xbows and when there is no arrow mounted there is also a catch system to prevent the bow from dry firing. If accidently fired without an arrow the string would travel about 1/2" and be caught by the catch system. The bow would have to be re-cocked if that happened. It is not real noisy to cock a bow, some noise, but not a lot. But there is a lot of motion involved. Way too much with a turkey in front of you. Yes an xbow can be dangerous, but so can a shotgun. If you don't get any safety instruction when you get an xbow, search on Youtube for a video on the subject. Just need to become familiar with it and know what to look out for...like a gun.

-I carry my xbow mostly on a sling. It is more awkward than a gun and I have to go slower (that's a good thing a lot of times  :)  ). I tend to twist my body a bit to go through narrow spaces so the limbs clear. The more modern and expensive bows can have much narrower limbs than some older model bows also.

-Some other things off the top of my head. I number my arrows so I know how each one shoots. I've had a couple that consistently hit 1 or 2 inches left and high say at 20 yards. That way I know sooner if it is the arrow and not me pulling the shot when I sight in.

I usually remove my quiver when I set up. Just less for a turkey to see and the bow can be slightly moved easier.

It is much easier to adjust a gun on a turkey than an xbow. The bows are just so big and bulky (and heavy) out on the end compared to a gun.

You need an almost perfect shot with a bow. No grass or little brush can be in the way. A lot of that wouldn't matter with a shotgun but does with a bow. Decoys can help here as they can place the turkey right in the spot you want. I very rarely use a decoy when gun hunting, but will use them now & then when I xbow hunt. But still not always.

I hope that helps you. I would hate to see you miss a turkey season because you couldn't use your gun. Good luck.

YoungGobbler

The answer right above mine is a very good one... The point Gobblenut adressed with the pulling force is a good point also...

I've been hunting with a crossbow for 13 years and it's a very easy device to use in my opinion. You sight it like a rifle, then your good to go every season, always shoots the same.

It is a bit different to carry than a shotgun, but I do carry it a lot in the woods. I walk a lot with mine, even through some thick stuff to be honest. When possible, I carry it on my shoulder with the bow pointing backwards and the hand on the buttstock. It comes natural to carry it this way, you'll see most guys carry it this way...

It takes some force to cock it, you should probably look for a special tensionner to cock it. If you would go to higher end models, they come with an electric cocker and de-cocker!

I would have no problems buying used. Just check to make sure there is no visible dammage and pick one that the rope is not too used.

I wax the rope every season with just my finger and little 'lip balm' kinda wax tube you buy for few bucks...

So yes...

Easy to use, can be carried through the woods. And i do carry mine with a arrow on it. Come on... I trust my safe on my shotgun with a shell in it? I trust my crossbow's safe with a arrow in it.

For the arrow and broadhead part. With the cross bow you'll buy, you'll surely have practice broadheads. Make sur your practice broadhead are the same weight as your hunting broadheads. To make sure of that, you gan buy yourself s small scale for 20$ on amazon. And it is counted as grain, just like rifle bullet.

For the hunting broadheads, i use fixed blade. Muzzy's were good, if not, Excalibur or G5 have very good reviews also. But whatever cuts will do the job for turkeys...

My last special advice... I have found that hunting broadheads don't  have the same point of impact than practice broadhead.

So what I do, I sighted my crossbow with my hunting broadheads and I never shoot practice broadhead. To shoot hunting points, I have a very high density foam block and I shoot in that with the hunting point without problems. Then you discard the head for hunting, but at least you're well sighted in...

Notsoyoungturk

Great advice here.  I had to deer hunt one season with a crossbow after i had neck surgery.  First, Crank to cock is a must after surgery.  Second, you can stalk with a crossbow.  I, like those above, leave my crossbow cocked without a bolt.  You will notice that there are now 2 distinct shapes to Crossbows.  First is the old style cross shaped crossbow.  You will find more of these out there for less on the used market.  Their larger profile makes it more difficult to maneuver shoot (especially if you also deer hunt and use blinds).  The second is the sleeker, more swept back version.  These are usually newer, faster, quieter and more expensive. 

Both require less strength to shoot and less movement on the part of the hunter at shooting time.Both will kill deer and turkeys. 

Ask yourself, will this be a temporary investment or will you continue to use it for archery.  If it is a longer term investment, you might want to step up to the sleeker, more powerful models.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Bowguy

A simple question? Wouldn't a 410 be ok to shoot? Thats not really a shotgun type kick. The Dr maybe doesn't understand that??