turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First muzzleloader shotgun

Started by Kygobblergetter, January 05, 2024, 08:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kygobblergetter

I'm starting my next project. Picked up a Thompson's center black mountain magnum 12 gauge to try my hand at the muzzleloading game. I'm going to try it with some tss 9s. The plan is to start with the load reflexl used on his knight and encore and go from there. Anybody have any experience with this gun? Any tips or tricks you all have learned concerning chasing them with black powder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

I have had limited, yet pleasurable experience chasing them with Black Powder. I was successful in bagging a Tom the first time I took it afield. It's a T-K 2000 Knight. I used Nickel Plated 5's, regular 12 gauge Wads made for the Knight, FF Black Powder and an over-shot wad. Good out to 30 yards with the factory full turkey choke. TSS wasn't around when I was using it, but I'm sure you will get better patterns especially with the number 9's. I may get back into this spring and break out my T-K. Good luck, I'm sure you will love it....
"Solo hunter"

Kygobblergetter

Thanks 007! I'm looking forward to trying it out

Tom007

You bet, good luck and post some pics......
"Solo hunter"

Kygobblergetter

Shot it for the first time today. Didn't take pics. Gun patterns great using the load reflexl described. Gun shoots a little low but I don't think I will have it drilled and tapped for the time being. As long as I use the full bead and hold near the top of the head it will get the job done. As expected I drew my Iowa tag so it should see some action this spring

backforty

You could switch out the front sight for a shorter one if it's possible with that gun

Print by Madison, on Flickr

g8rvet

I have a TK2000 as well as a Thompson Center System One. 

The TK has taken two birds-one by nephew and one by son.  I have not scored with it yet.  With reflex load it is very doable at 40 with mix of lead 5 and Heavyweight #7 (15g/cc). 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

reflexl

Should be fun. Looking forward to turkey pics with it.