OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Contact Cluck

Started by falconiii, December 15, 2023, 09:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

falconiii

Can someone tell me the difference between a contact cluck and a putt?

GobbleNut

I've never heard the term "contact cluck" before, but I assume it refers to the general tendency of gobblers to give out a single cluck when they are close and looking for the source of turkey calling they are hearing (i.e...a calling hunter).  I think some folks sometimes refer to it as a "bubble" cluck, as well.  I have always called it a "where-are-you cluck". 

Honestly, to the human ear (mine, at least), I have never been able to distinguish between that cluck, whatever you want to call it, and the first stages of putting.  The way I personally tell the difference is in how the turkey that is making the sound is acting and what sounds or actions that single cluck is accompanied by, or followed by. 

A cluck of that type is typically not followed by distinct signs of alarm. A gobbler may hang around looking for the calling source for a bit sort of in a curious manner.  However, that cluck can soon turn into more pronounced clucking sounds (putting) and is usually accompanied with a demeanor by the gobbler of "Okay, lady, you better show yourself pretty durn quickly here or I am gettin' the heck out of Dodge".

One thing I have found over time is that if those clucks become more pronounced and there starts to be a series of them, you best be ready to shoot at the first opportunity...that is, if he gives you one.   ;D :D

Quig

Check out the NWTF sound files at this link - there is one for cluck and another for putt

https://www.nwtf.org/content-hub/the-sounds-of-the-wild-turkey

GobbleNut

Here's a quick story to demonstrate the subtle differences that can exist between turkeys clucking and putting...

Years ago, I had purchased a camcorder and was anxious to try it out videoing some gobblers prior to the start of our spring season.  One morning, I located multiple gobblers on the roost before daylight, snuck in and set up next to a small meadow right below the roost tree.  At daylight, I made a few calls (sidenote here: I have long since realized that doing this to preseason gobblers is not a good idea).

Judging from the amount of gobbling going on, it was apparent there were a bunch of gobblers in this group, and soon they flew down and quickly made their way down into the meadow roughly thirty to forty yards away and starting strutting and gobbling in earnest, looking for the hen they had heard.  There were seventeen gobblers in the group and, as it turned out, they stuck around seemingly forever, interacting with each other as I merrily kept the camera a-rollin'.

They communicated in a variety of ways, both verbally and physically, including doing a LOT of clucking, purring, gobbling, and various other noises.  They were all at ease with the world and showed absolutely no signs of concern other than amongst themselves and the usual dominance displays that go on between turkeys.  Some were strutting and some were feeding and there was a lot of "clucking" going on...and for quite a while.

Here's the kicker (and the point):  All of a sudden, one of the gobblers made what sounded to me like the same kind of clucking they had been doing...other than being ever-so-slightly more emphatic.  Immediately, every single gobbler came to full attention, looking around for any sign of danger.  They stood there looking around for a second or two, and then just as quickly went right back feeding and strutting. (Of course, the gobbler that had made the offending cluck looked around like..."What's the matter with you guys...What did I do?)

That one, regular-old-cluck-sounding note from the one gobbler was just enough to set them off. The bottom line is that it appears to me that sometimes even the turkeys don't know the difference between a cluck and a putt...    ;D

silvestris

There is not much difference between most clucks and most putts.  It is the situation that usually makes the difference.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Paulmyr

Quote from: GobbleNut on December 18, 2023, 09:56:39 AM
Here's a quick story to demonstrate the subtle differences that can exist between turkeys clucking and putting...

Years ago, I had purchased a camcorder and was anxious to try it out videoing some gobblers prior to the start of our spring season.  One morning, I located multiple gobblers on the roost before daylight, snuck in and set up next to a small meadow right below the roost tree.  At daylight, I made a few calls (sidenote here: I have long since realized that doing this to preseason gobblers is not a good idea).

Judging from the amount of gobbling going on, it was apparent there were a bunch of gobblers in this group, and soon they flew down and quickly made their way down into the meadow roughly thirty to forty yards away and starting strutting and gobbling in earnest, looking for the hen they had heard.  There were seventeen gobblers in the group and, as it turned out, they stuck around seemingly forever, interacting with each other as I merrily kept the camera a-rollin'.

They communicated in a variety of ways, both verbally and physically, including doing a LOT of clucking, purring, gobbling, and various other noises.  They were all at ease with the world and showed absolutely no signs of concern other than amongst themselves and the usual dominance displays that go on between turkeys.  Some were strutting and some were feeding and there was a lot of "clucking" going on...and for quite a while.

Here's the kicker (and the point):  All of a sudden, one of the gobblers made what sounded to me like the same kind of clucking they had been doing...other than being ever-so-slightly more emphatic.  Immediately, every single gobbler came to full attention, looking around for any sign of danger.  They stood there looking around for a second or two, and then just as quickly went right back feeding and strutting. (Of course, the gobbler that had made the offending cluck looked around like..."What's the matter with you guys...What did I do?)

That one, regular-old-cluck-sounding note from the one gobbler was just enough to set them off. The bottom line is that it appears to me that sometimes even the turkeys don't know the difference between a cluck and a putt...    ;D

It  might also be the case that volume is a risk indicator. The sightly out of normal cluck you heard might have meant hey pay attention I seen something. A cluck or 3 with more harshness might have had them heading for the hills.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Paulmyr on December 19, 2023, 02:20:00 AM
Quote from: GobbleNut on December 18, 2023, 09:56:39 AM

It  might also be the case that volume is a risk indicator. The sightly out of normal cluck you heard might have meant hey pay attention I seen something. A cluck or 3 with more harshness might have had them heading for the hills.

What ever it was in the instance I related, there was such a subtle difference in the "cluckish" sound that set them all off that I concluded that perhaps I should be very careful about using the cluck in future calling.  Anymore, the only time I use a single cluck (or even a series of clucks without other turkey vocabulary included) is in response to those "contact", "bubble" or "where are you" clucks that a gobbler almost always elicits when gets close and is looking for the source of the calling he has heard. 

Now, I am sure there are others that will swear by using clucking as their calling weapon of choice.  For me personally, I will almost always throw in some subtle yelping just to be sure.  It may not be the wise choice in some situations, but it makes me feel better about the possibility of them interpretting my clucking as something to skedaddle over.   ;D

Turkeyman

Years ago I had somewhat the same experience as Gobblenut. In the fall I was observing a flock of several hens, several jennies and several jakes. There was all kinds of turkey talk going on. Anyhow, this one particular jake had a "putt like" cluck because you could hear the bit of stress in it. When he would cluck several heads would snap to and look his way.

Number17

I was taught to turkey hunt by a Clucker. He'd always use a series of 3 soft clucks and very rarely yelped.
It worked and I've had some success with it myself, but lately my subtle calling has been yelping more. Very softly.
One of the hardest things you will do is try to make just one yelp and shut up.
I'll do single yelps, or a single cluck followed by a yelp. It's been deadly on quiet birds and henned up birds. Hens almost can't help but come looking.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Uncle Tom

Killed a big bird last year by just using the cluck & purr. Only use the cluck and purrs for last 10-15 years and usually get my birds every year. There is an a learning curve I believe of how to use it and once you hit on it will become as natural as putting one foot in front of the other. The bird I killed last year was like 150 yards across a mowed pasture....hanging out with hens all morning. They finally left him around 11:00 and he became interested in the hen he had been hearing. As he went under a fence and started my way I would give him a soft cluck followed by purr ever few minutes....he marched right to me with that stretched neck looking for that sweet hen. Weighed over 21 lbs....both spurs over 1 1/2" dragging a rope. TSS hand loads 20 gauge. Takes lot of patience to hunt like I do but if done right you do not wear out you hunting spots like you would with yelps.....they pick up on all that loud calling.....constant moving around day after day. Ask yourself this....how much yelping do you hear from hens every hunt? Most times very little I believe. I can tell you a hunter yelping verses a real hen in most cases....those ole birds can too.

Gobbler428

Quote from: Uncle Tom on January 01, 2024, 09:14:00 AM
Killed a big bird last year by just using the cluck & purr. Only use the cluck and purrs for last 10-15 years and usually get my birds every year. There is an a learning curve I believe of how to use it and once you hit on it will become as natural as putting one foot in front of the other. The bird I killed last year was like 150 yards across a mowed pasture....hanging out with hens all morning. They finally left him around 11:00 and he became interested in the hen he had been hearing. As he went under a fence and started my way I would give him a soft cluck followed by purr ever few minutes....he marched right to me with that stretched neck looking for that sweet hen. Weighed over 21 lbs....both spurs over 1 1/2" dragging a rope. TSS hand loads 20 gauge. Takes lot of patience to hunt like I do but if done right you do not wear out you hunting spots like you would with yelps.....they pick up on all that loud calling.....constant moving around day after day. Ask yourself this....how much yelping do you hear from hens every hunt? Most times very little I believe. I can tell you a hunter yelping verses a real hen in most cases....those ole birds can too.
Lot of truth in that

Twowithone

Got my Gobber last season using sparingly clucks and throw in some purrs very little yelping just clucking and he came a searching.
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

GobbleNut

There appear to be many variations and nuances to the turkey vocabulary...and I suspect that the sounds we turkey hunters make and how the turkeys interpret them are not always in sync.  This discussion about clucks, putts, clucks and purrs in their various forms is a fine example of it.

Up front, I will admit that I am not a turkey (although to some of my acquaintances, the description apparently is fitting in some regards), but I have concluded from experience that there are certain things that turkeys say that, although sounding similar, have entirely different meanings to the turkeys themselves.  Running down the list of definitions we humans have arbitrarily assigned to the various sounds that generally fall under the category of that singular note we call "the cluck", we further refine that sound to suit our vernacular as turkey hunters.

We have clucks in general, contact clucks, bubble clucks, contented/feeding/spacing clucks, and those clucks that, when alarm sets in, gravitate into the various levels of putting.  Then we throw in clucks and purrs ranging from, again, those intimate flock reassurance sounds, all the way up to the fighting purrs with their associated aggravated putting thrown in. 

I would bet any of us that have hunted turkeys for very long, have called in gobblers using an assortment of those sounds...and very likely all of them.  I would also bet every one of us has used one or more of those sounds thinking we were calling turkeys to us when, in fact, they were interpreting those sounds in an entirely different (and negative) way than we thought they would. 

When all is said and done, each of us makes the sounds we think will call the gobbler we are having a conversation with...and hope like heck we are saying the right thing...at the right time...and from the right place...    :D ;D

Uncle Tom

When you get the attention of a gobbler using the cluck/purr, and can actually see him whether near or far, at that very moment, you will know if you are in his wheel house or not. Can tell by his reaction to your call. Now if you not speaking his language so to speak, game over before it even has begun. That is where the learning curve comes in....many hunts and seasons go by and mistakes made before you can "feel" it. Can't even begin to explain it, but with enough seat time you will get it if you stick with it. The ole turkey hunter Tom Kelly said you can't bring back that call once you have sent....how true that is. 

Lcmacd 58

Quote from: Uncle Tom on January 05, 2024, 05:14:10 PM
When you get the attention of a gobbler using the cluck/purr, and can actually see him whether near or far, at that very moment, you will know if you are in his wheel house or not. Can tell by his reaction to your call. Now if you not speaking his language so to speak, game over before it even has begun. That is where the learning curve comes in....many hunts and seasons go by and mistakes made before you can "feel" it. Can't even begin to explain it, but with enough seat time you will get it if you stick with it. The ole turkey hunter Tom Kelly said you can't bring back that call once you have sent....how true that is.

This pretty much says it all .... you'll know when you know