turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do you use a gobble call?

Started by YoungGobbler, October 31, 2023, 09:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungGobbler

Do you use a call that produces gobble and does it work? If so, any special way you use it?

Sir-diealot

Tried one back in the 90's I was not impressed.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

randywallace

I have a Morgan tube call with me on every hunt that can be used for calling or locating.  Whether I use it or not is situational. 

Tom007

Have with success on private land. No way on public, just not comfortable using one there.....
"Solo hunter"

Dr Juice

I used it a bunch of times on private land and came home successful. I highly recommend it.

Bowguy

I'm going to answer your question by saying I don't typically use one. It can work but be dangerous even on private land. Most of us understand trespassing.
Calls I much prefer are gobbler, jake yelps, or clucks. Turkey can certainly tell the difference the beginner to many past that stage can't hear a difference. The other sound I use is fight rattles/fight purrs. Both gobbler sounds work as well or better and are safer.
I'll give some easy examples of use.
Few years ago I was going to roost birds and watched them about to fly up. This longbeard had his flock. Three other longbeards came into field. The flock bird left his ladies beeline to the 3 and started bullying.
Next morning first thing I see is the longbeards. They wouldn't come and I had a young lady with me I was calling for. Heard her deflate as she almost had a chance. Next the flock came but about 60 yards going away. They'd not even look. I gobbler yelped at em. The bird turned, left the ladies and came to whoop someone. The girl missed 3 times at 20 yards. Read the play right? It's important for any calling.  Think a gobble call woulda done better?
Last year a buddy of mine was texting saying the bird he was working sounded almost angry. Idk if some could decipher gobbles but to me at times they have that dominant sound, or at times questioning  "where are you" sound to them., we change the message we are or aren't sending to them.  Anyhow he said bird sounded aggravated and wasn't coming.  I mentioned he should try rattling at em. Bird went ballistic he told me and within a very short spell was dead.
Anytime you rattle you'll get about instant feedback if it's working. Birds double triple gobble and about run in. I could go on for both calls but the most fun you'll have calling imo is the rattle response. Never seen em act like that with gobbles
Do I use gobble sounds. No. Gobbler sounds yes.

YoungGobbler

Quote from: Bowguy on November 04, 2023, 05:01:58 AM
I'm going to answer your question by saying I don't typically use one. It can work but be dangerous even on private land. Most of us understand trespassing.
Calls I much prefer are gobbler, jake yelps, or clucks. Turkey can certainly tell the difference the beginner to many past that stage can't hear a difference. The other sound I use is fight rattles/fight purrs. Both gobbler sounds work as well or better and are safer.
I'll give some easy examples of use.
Few years ago I was going to roost birds and watched them about to fly up. This longbeard had his flock. Three other longbeards came into field. The flock bird left his ladies beeline to the 3 and started bullying.
Next morning first thing I see is the longbeards. They wouldn't come and I had a young lady with me I was calling for. Heard her deflate as she almost had a chance. Next the flock came but about 60 yards going away. They'd not even look. I gobbler yelped at em. The bird turned, left the ladies and came to whoop someone. The girl missed 3 times at 20 yards. Read the play right? It's important for any calling.  Think a gobble call woulda done better?
Last year a buddy of mine was texting saying the bird he was working sounded almost angry. Idk if some could decipher gobbles but to me at times they have that dominant sound, or at times questioning  "where are you" sound to them., we change the message we are or aren't sending to them.  Anyhow he said bird sounded aggravated and wasn't coming.  I mentioned he should try rattling at em. Bird went ballistic he told me and within a very short spell was dead.
Anytime you rattle you'll get about instant feedback if it's working. Birds double triple gobble and about run in. I could go on for both calls but the most fun you'll have calling imo is the rattle response. Never seen em act like that with gobbles
Do I use gobble sounds. No. Gobbler sounds yes.
Thanks for your comment, i like your idea. Makes me want to try it on birds who are not very interested in coming in... We'll see next spring if I can get them crazy with these sounds...

Bowguy

Roger Parks sells a gobbler pot. Imo you want to practice it. Gotta get the broken jake  sequence for instance in your head. Also need to make a sound chamber as there is none and run more towards pot center. Roger sends or used to a cd explaining this.

crow

Quote from: YoungGobbler on October 31, 2023, 09:45:52 PM
Do you use a call that produces gobble and does it work? If so, any special way you use it?

I use a tube call for gobbling both fall and spring, it's effective. To my ear the tube call makes the most realistic gobble. There are a couple good youtube videos on how to do it, one by Kenny Morgan, another by Joe Slaten, there's more go in this forums tube call section.

Gobbler/Jake yelps, are also very effective and worth learning, nothing works all the time, the more tools in your bag the better

Uncle Tom

I use an old Lynch World Champion box call that is my first call....bought back in the early 90's. Take the call and turn it upside down....shake it and the handle will make the gobble call. Called old bird in last year using it. The best luck I have using it is to do a series of soft clucks/purrs followed by the gobble call. May take several times of doing this....clucks/purrs followed by gobble. Then once you have done this sequence few times.....pause for a while then just do the clucks followed by the purrs.....no more gobbles. The gobbler thinks the hen is alone now and he will come in looking for that lonesome hen. Killed several birds doing this.

MK M GOBL

Rarely, But I do make other gobbler sounds, I like some gobbler fights, fighting purrs, wings and making some noise, then there are the jake yaulks, but sometimes as a last-ditch effort when I have done everything else, I'll gobble. And like any other call sometimes it helps and sometimes it hurts, all depends on the day and the bird you're working. When I used to, I liked my Red Wolfe Gobbler Shaker, but anymore I just gobble with my diaphragm call.

MK M GOBL

Tom007

Quote from: MK M GOBL on January 08, 2024, 12:37:05 AM
Rarely, But I do make other gobbler sounds, I like some gobbler fights, fighting purrs, wings and making some noise, then there are the jake yaulks, but sometimes as a last-ditch effort when I have done everything else, I'll gobble. And like any other call sometimes it helps and sometimes it hurts, all depends on the day and the bird you're working. When I used to, I liked my Red Wolfe Gobbler Shaker, but anymore I just gobble with my diaphragm call.

MK M GOBL
[/quote

I'm with you on the fighting purr! It can be deadly in the right situation for sure.....
"Solo hunter"

YoungGobbler

Very interested in trying some fightings sounds next spring !!

Marc

I use one...  But not (generally) to call in birds...

*Occasionally can be used to entice a henned up tom to defend his territory, but not often.
*Can be used as a locator.
*Probably best used to "increase the testosterone" level of a bird.

Having the opportunity to watch birds from a distance as I call...  I have noted, that very often a bird will go into strut (often silently) after hearing a gobble, or maybe a feeding bird's head comes up...

I probably most often use a gobble call to prime the breeding engine of a bird on a quiet morning.  Maybe give a series of gobbles, pause, followed by whatever hen series I prefer...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.