OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Youth shotgun…

Started by sixbird, September 03, 2023, 03:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixbird

Looking for a youth shotgun for a ten year old. Something light and short.
Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3bailey3

Greg Massey

Mossberg SA 410 tactical ... You can use it as a single shot and as they continue to grow you can add another shell in the gun...  They are 10 now and before you know it, they will be 13 .... I don't care for the Steven Single shots .. IMO...   

mountainhunter1

As Greg said, any of the SA series Mossbergs are good choices, and I also have the Mossberg Youth Super Bantam which has not disappointed me in any way the past three years I have carried it. Gun weighs 5.25 pounds naked out of the box and is a joy to carry.

All that said, Remington is back guys and I think they are building as good of an 870 as they have built. If a 20 gauge is not too much for your kid, I would spring for the Remington 870 Youth Fieldmaster in synthetic hardware. Gun is only 40.5 inches long. It is a hair heavier than the Mossberg Youth Super Bantam I mentioned above, but you have a solid steel receiver and heavier twin bars on the slide. I just got this one back from having it cerakoted, and have attached a Leupold Delta Point Pro on it - and cannot wait to kill a turkey with it.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Bowguy

I'd also recommend a pump mossberg if the recoil management wasn't mandatory. A semi mossberg if it was. My youngest was real tiny, smallest kid in her classes and shooting a 20 ga pump Winchester at 10. If you want Single shot, Henry. Be advised little kids tend to relate recoil w noise. Outer muffs and inner plugs same time are best bet. Also I'd pattern the turkey loads alone (without her) and only let her shoot light target loads. The day of the hunt give her real loads without telling her. I've done this for many kids and not one noticed
Excuse me sixbird you know all I said after the recommendations. I haven't been on here much and didn't notice it was an old time guy. I'll leave info up for anyone else if that's ok

darrenhaynes580

I sent you a pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Number17

The Stevens 301 is light but it's not short. The length of pull will make it hard for small kids to shoulder correctly.
That being said my son used a 301 .410 to flop two big longbeards the past two years......at 7 and 8 years old. It's a great shooting little gun with the factory choke and Turkey Ninja shells.

I have a Weatherby Sa-459 youth 20g waiting for him when he's ready for some more recoil.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls