turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gobbler Yelps

Started by jbrown, May 18, 2023, 08:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrown

How many of you use gobbler  yelps in spring Turkey hunting? If so, in what situations and what time of season did you have the best results?

guesswho

Yes.   Late season, mid morning.   Also if there is a dynamic duo survivor he is really vulnerable for several days, even early season. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

ChesterCopperpot

I killed four birds this year and all died to jake yelps and gobbling. Late season and/or to occasionally challenge a henned up dominant bird. But mostly late season. And this year all season was late season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

X3 ... Always use gobbler yelps / Jake yelps ... Roger Parks makes the best pot call for making these yelps ... He has A YouTube video seminar he did at Unicoi about how to make these sounds. 

3bailey3

X2 on the Parks call.

callmakerman

Rohm made a great gobbler slate if you can find one buy it. I think the number was 803

Kylongspur88

Yes. Like said above later in the season and mid morning. Also a great call in the fall

sixbird

Gobbler yelps are useful any time of season. I throw them in every so often. In particular if I have a gobbler that just doesn't want to come in.
It's all a stage play. If he's thinking a jake or gobbler is moving in on HIS action, he'll likely come looking.
Richard Hudson makes some killer hen boxes for gobbler yelps. His hollow sounding ones sound EXACTLY like a gobbler!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notsoyoungturk

Used Gobbler call to kill 2 turkeys this year - South Carolina and Tennessee.  I agree with Greg on the Roger Parks Gobbler slate call.  It seems to be a great closer.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Bowguy

Gobbler/jake yelps are seriously underrated and can be just the ticket. Gotta read your birds

Notsoyoungturk

I have a short video that I made when Roger Parks was showing me how to use his gobbler call.  If you would like a copy, PM me and I will text or email it to you.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

paboxcall

Quote from: Bowguy on September 14, 2023, 03:26:42 PM
Gobbler/jake yelps are seriously underrated and can be just the ticket. Gotta read your birds

:agreed:
Which is why a quality long box is always in reach, young hen to jake to gobbler yelps.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

3bailey3

Notsoyoung thaks for sharing the video, never gets old watching Rodger run his caller!

EZ

Nothing to add to the excellent responses. I kill a lot of late season birds with a deep pitched gobbler wingbone.

I'll just throw in to not forget the kee-kee or whistle in the spring also.

backforty

Yes, I will use it when a bird gets hung up on me. Doesn't work all the time but often enough to try it.
Print by Madison, on Flickr