OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Comfortable cushion for sitting on the ground?

Started by noweil, May 14, 2023, 02:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRG3

In my turkey hunting experience, the years have piled up and my run-n-gun days are behind me. In that time, I went from a cushion on the ground to a low turkey chair and finally to a regular lawn chair. Being in my 80s, I now carry a lawn chair via a bungee cord over my shoulder with a decoy sack on my back and a fanny pack with calls, etc. around my waist, all accompanied by a walking stick. A camo net on stakes is also part of the garb. I set up where the gobblers traditional are and wait for them to open up. If there's no gobbles, I typically continue to call periodically and sometimes, especially later in the morning, it's not unusual for a gobbler to answer and, depending on how lonely he is, to eventually come on in. Last year I killed one at noon. Most game can be hunted with a lawn chair and patience, including squirrels, deer, doves, and even rabbits with a pack of beagles. I still enjoy hunting as much as ever by just making the adjustments that life requires of you.

Lcmacd 58

Quote from: TRG3 on March 12, 2024, 09:39:02 PM
In my turkey hunting experience, the years have piled up and my run-n-gun days are behind me. In that time, I went from a cushion on the ground to a low turkey chair and finally to a regular lawn chair. Being in my 80s, I now carry a lawn chair via a bungee cord over my shoulder with a decoy sack on my back and a fanny pack with calls, etc. around my waist, all accompanied by a walking stick. A camo net on stakes is also part of the garb. I set up where the gobblers traditional are and wait for them to open up. If there's no gobbles, I typically continue to call periodically and sometimes, especially later in the morning, it's not unusual for a gobbler to answer and, depending on how lonely he is, to eventually come on in. Last year I killed one at noon. Most game can be hunted with a lawn chair and patience, including squirrels, deer, doves, and even rabbits with a pack of beagles. I still enjoy hunting as much as ever by just making the adjustments that life requires of you.
This is as true as it gets ..   

shaman

For over 20 years, I've used a camo boat cushion. 

I usually take a few and spread them around the farm so that I have one when I get near where I'm going to hunt and then leave it back there as I'm walking out.

It gets me sitting up a tad higher off the ground and puts less pressure on my knees.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Tail Feathers

TRG3, Whatever it takes to keep you hunting is fine.  When you hit 80, accomodations to the old run and gun style are likely to be needed.  Keep at 'em however you can, as long as you can.  Good luck this spring sir!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

paboxcall

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 10, 2024, 04:14:17 PM
Glenda Green inter tube seat.
After all the positive reviews on this seat, finally ordered one.

Its a game changer. Could sit all morning on it if I had too and not get fidgety.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

WildTigerTrout

I use an old Buckwing turkey seat.  It has solid legs and does not fold. It's the type with the longer front legs and shorter rear legs.  I had a folding HS Strut and it fell apart. If I have time I put my cushion on top before sitting down.  This works for me.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Sanders153

I've used the Hunt Comfort Scout seat for elk hunting for a while, and it has always done really well for me

merriamsman

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 10, 2024, 04:14:17 PMGlenda Green inter tube seat.
I tried a Glenda Green inner tube seat for the first time yesterday, and I can attest that it is the most comfortable cushion I have used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro