turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Muzzleloader miss

Started by g8rvet, May 04, 2023, 12:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

So my brother had a miss a couple weeks back at 25 steps with my muzzleloader-TK2000.  His son killed one with it two years ago, my son killed one with it a week later.  he has a side by side ML that he missed a jake in the fall with.  I told him mine was dead on, take it, and then he missed a longbeard.

So it got me to wondering if it was the gun or the shooter.  next post I will put a pic up of the pattern at 25 yards. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

g8rvet

It was the shooter.   Oops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapa
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Greg Massey

joey46

If he had taken a few prior practice shots he may have developed a flinch   My TK kicks so much I've seriously worried about detached retina. Not a gun for woozies.

joey46

I'm going to bump this up since it is now "patterning time".  That 25 yard pattern is very typical for my TK2000.  I've tested it out to 35 yards and the pattern is still very good.  I would not hesitate to take a 40 yard shot.  I think the TK has again been discontinued.  The ones I see on Gunbroker always bring big money.  I have added an extra recoil pad to mine.  It helps somewhat.  Good luck this season.

reflexl

g8rvet

reflexl

Yes it works really well. That is with that recipe I posted. I use that exact same recipe in the Encore. I back off 10grs of powder in the Huntsman.

novashooter

Quote from: joey46 on July 07, 2023, 06:49:21 PM
If he had taken a few prior practice shots he may have developed a flinch   My TK kicks so much I've seriously worried about detached retina. Not a gun for woozies.

What was that crazy load Knight used to recommend with the TK2000, 2 1/2 ounces of shot with 120 grains of powder or something? Yeah, I'll pass on that one.

100gr Fg powder
2 hard card wads
2 ounces hard lead shot
1 hard card overshot

That load isn't for the feint of heart either, but it's really no worse than any 3" turkey load and it's effective at 40 yards.