turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Where to go

Started by Lcmacd 58, April 30, 2023, 10:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lcmacd 58

Ok ... so my season is over here in Illinois.I know there are hunters from all over on here. So would anyone chime in on a new place (state) to hunt next year ? I'm retired so I could spend a little time scouting.  And me and no shoulders dont get along very well. I'm just looking for a few suggestions.
Thnx in advance for your reply.
And I really dont want any specific locations.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Lcmacd 58 on April 30, 2023, 10:39:33 PM
Ok ... so my season is over here in Illinois.I know there are hunters from all over on here. So would anyone chime in on a new place (state) to hunt next year ? I'm retired so I could spend a little time scouting.  And me and no shoulders dont get along very well. I'm just looking for a few suggestions.
Thnx in advance for your reply.
And I really dont want any specific locations.
I really don't think you will find many people telling you where to go next or next year... This is something your pretty much going to have to do on your own, in finding other states or locations. You will just have to do your own homework... I know this isn't what you were asking or wanted to hear ... It's just called a turkey hunting keeping information to himself ... IMO... Good luck ... retirement is awesome ...

Lcmacd 58

And retirement is awesome .....
Thnx

huntrwilliams

Close your eyes and point to a map lol

I want to hunt in every state eventually.  I'd suggest Kansas or Nebraska for our west if you want a challenge try these tricky birds here in GA. Had success in both but all about doing research and learning from mistakes.

Could do a pay hunt with public ground nearby and extend the trip to try and learn about the area after your initial hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Quote from: huntrwilliams on January 26, 2024, 10:03:36 PM
  I'd suggest Kansas or Nebraska...

FYI...There are no nonresident permits left in Nebraska for this spring...I assume they were "first come" and have already sold out.  Kansas also has a limited allotment of nonresident permits and the application period ends Feb. 9th...with a drawing afterwards. 

It looks like we are headed towards a lot of states starting to limit nonresident hunter numbers.  I suspect drawings for those permits will become the norm...unless we see a dramatic reversal in the downward trend in wild turkey numbers in a lot of places...as well as (at least) a leveling off of the number of folks that want to hunt out-of-state (which doesn't seem likely). 

Those of us wanting to hunt other states will have to "be on our toes" in keeping up with the changing regulations across the country.